Author Topic: Queso Fresco  (Read 5531 times)

Sue~

Queso Fresco
« on: May 31, 2011, 02:29:03 PM »
First queso fresco, I followed John's recipe http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,1790.0.html  It set well though I used a bit less rennet than in the recipe because my pot will hold a little under 2 gallons.  (I know, it's probably bad to eyeball measurements!).  I forgot my notes with me, but it was: 2 gallons store bought milk, 1/2 tsp CaCl2, 1 packet of meso culture and .2 grams rennet (tablet) and followed the temperatures John outlined in that thread.  I let it sit out overnight to dry and then put it in the fridge.  Learning along the way, but the process seemed to turn out well this time.  I had a nice set, lots of curd and was able to maintain temperature much better than in the past.

I tasted it (just under) 24 hours later because I was curious (and some recipes claim it will be ready by then) and it was very tart and tangy.  I hope it will mellow out a bit but am a bit worried because I don't really have a proper press and it seemed pretty wet.   

Questions:
1. How long does a queso fresco take to age?  I see many threads on it here but haven't seen how long people let it age (quite possible I missed it in reading)  Is it one of those things to just keep tasting?
 2.  Am I destroying my curd by stirring so much?  I never know how big the pieces are supposed to be, this picture doesn't show it very well.  I seemed to end up with very small curd.

Anyway, because I couldn't wait I tried a slice!

Overall I'm happy with the process and decided that I really do need to buy some proper equipment if I am going to continue making cheese!

Cheese Head

Re: Queso Fresco
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 09:54:53 PM »
Hi Sue, looks great! FYI the same recipe is on the website, I just need to add some pics. Also there are a few other Queso Fresco threads around if you Search on words "Queso Fresco".

That info page says 1 week shelf life, but depends on your make and refrigeration. As yours is moister I wouldn't expect more than a week.

It's really an unaged fresh cheese as you can eat it straight away, as you did, but the microorganisms in the butter,ilk should add flavour over time, but probably not much inside of a week . . . let us know!

On stirring, your curd is I think smaller than mine, but not by much, hard to judge size from your pics, stirring more and cutting curds smaller result in a lower moisture content cheese. Next time try bigger and see if you like better.

Sue~

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 02:19:16 PM »
Thanks John!

I read that recipe on the website, but it used vinegar and buttermilk so I searched the forum and found your recipe with the meso culture, etc.. (queso fresco #3)   that followed fias farm recipe.  Other people used it too and got good results

Gosh, I've been so busy the past few days that I haven't even thought of tasting it again! I will tonight for sure and report back.  I'm really hoping the weird tart flavor went away.  Either way, it gave me something to do while I wait (not so patiently) for my cheddar to age :p

Sue~

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 01:50:39 PM »
So I tasted it last night.  It has the same consistency as store bought queso fresco.  It tastes good but leaves a very unpleasant tart and slightly bitter after taste that I was hesitant to try more.  I thought i read on this board that can be caused by too much rennet?  I think I'm going to let it rest a few more days and try it again.