Author Topic: Lemon Cheese Making Recipe  (Read 10044 times)

Cheese Head

Lemon Cheese Making Recipe
« on: May 07, 2008, 01:47:57 PM »
Very simple and popular soft spreadable cheese partly as it can be made with common household ingredients.

INGREDIENTS - METRIC
  • 2 Liters Cow’s Milk
  • 160 ml Lemon Juice
  • Optional herbs such as
Yields = ~½ kg using whole milk

INGREDIENTS - IMPERIAL
  • 1 US gallon Cow’s Milk
  • 5 ounces Lemon Juice
  • Optional herbs such as
Yields = ~2 lb using whole milk

DIRECTIONS
  • In a large non aluminum saucepan, heat the milk to ~ 85 C / 185 F.
  • Add lemon juice and stir - whisk well to distribute.
  • Cover and let the milk set for 15 minutes.
  • Check to see if clear separation of the curds and whey, if whey is still milky then add small amount of additional lemon, whisk in and wait again.
  • Pour the curds and whey into a strainer-colander lined with muslin cheesecloth.
  • When drainage of whey slows down, tie the corners of the cloth together and hang in bag shape for 1 to 2 hours to continue draining whey.
  • Un-tie bag and check consistency of cheese, part against the cloth will be firm, top will still be soft - moist. If want average to be dryer, then either flip cheese wet side down and re-hang or mix dry-ish cheese against cloth away from cloth and re-hang.
  • Remove the cheese from bag and optionally stir in herbs to taste.
  • Eat immediately or pack into mold / food grade container and store in fridge for up to 2 weeks.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 02:56:11 PM by Cheese Head »

hows that for a slice of

Re: Lemon Cheese Making Recipe
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 11:26:02 PM »
hey fried gold, are you there? howre you?
lemons in a cheese? who would have thought it? i thought cranberrys was mad - but now this? i just dont know what to think

Fried Gold

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 12:46:30 AM »
hey man long time no speak, things aren't too bad. Lemon in cheese is pretty wrong to be honest, isn't that mixing sweet and savory? i suppose it depends on the intentions for cheese, i mean i wouldnt put lemon cheese on my burger (LOL)  ;) but then maybe on a cracker for supper. Hows life treating you anyway man?
xxxx

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 09:38:39 PM »
This is actually a pretty good cheese. Great for beginners with no equipmet and rather flavorful.
The lemon (acid)  is for coagulating the milk you don't put lemons in it.

meor

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 07:25:55 AM »
Hai my name is meor, i am from malaysia, May i now anybody here can sell by pos to me vegetable rennet, i will pay include the pos fee.

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 12:14:08 AM »
Hi Meor,

Welcome to the Cheese Forum.

Maybe an Australian company can send you some.
Try www.greenlivingaustralia.com.au or www.cheeselinks.com.au

Also CHR Hansen the distributor of cheese making consumables has an office in Kuala Lumpur. Their contact details are:
Phone  : + 603 7680 6000
Lot 720, Block A, 7th Floor,
Kelana Centre Point,
3 Jalan SS7/19
47301 Petaling Jaya, Selangor
Malaysia

Follow the link above and contact with them to get the retailers who can provide rennet to you.

Cheese Head

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 12:11:19 AM »
Selamat Pagi Meor!

My family and I lived 5 years in Brunei and we know Malaysia reasonably well, welcome to this forum!

Tetragrammaton

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 08:01:11 AM »
I tried this recipe as my first cheese recipe but I noticed no separation between curds and whey. I added more lemon juice in case it was not enough, as instructed but even then there was no difference. In the end, I had to throw it all away. What could have gone wrong?

KosherBaker

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 10:33:47 PM »
I tried this recipe as my first cheese recipe but I noticed no separation between curds and whey. I added more lemon juice in case it was not enough, as instructed but even then there was no difference. In the end, I had to throw it all away. What could have gone wrong?
A detailed description of what you did will probably help figure out what went wrong.

Also starting a new thread generally gets more people to see your post and thereby potentially get more feedback to your problem. You can always provide a link to the recipe from your new thread.

MrsKK

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 02:43:37 PM »
Welcome to the CheeseForum!

Things that come to mind are:

- Is your thermometer properly calibrated so that you know you had the milk hot enough when you added the lemon juice?

- What kind of milk did you use?  If pasturized, are you sure it wasn't UHT, as most people say it is nearly impossible to get any type of cheese from UHT milk.

I hope we can help you out.

Tetragrammaton

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 08:35:21 PM »
Thank you, I started an new thread over here.