Author Topic: Penicillium candidum - What Cheeses Can Be Made?  (Read 6224 times)

Gustav

Penicillium candidum - What Cheeses Can Be Made?
« on: June 14, 2011, 06:11:07 PM »
Are there any other cheese that one can make with the above mentioned mold spores & can you supply the recioe please.
I wan to make something other than Brie & Camembert.

Seattle Slim

Re: Penicillium candidum - What Cheeses Can Be Made?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 09:51:22 PM »
I've made Pouligny St. Pierre, Valencay, Chaource, and Sel Sur Cher using penicillium candidum.  Recipes are in Debra Amrein-Boyes 200 Homemade Cheese Recipes.

Gustav

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 05:06:05 AM »
I don't have any of those recipes. Can you maybe atach the docs for me if you don't mind. I would like to make them.

Thnx!

dthelmers

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 01:50:40 PM »
Gustav,
Can you get a copy of Debra Amrein-Boyes book"200 Easy Homemade Cheese Recipes" where you are? I see that you like making a variety of cheese, and I think that you would get a lot out of her book. I've used mine so much it looks like it's years old, though quite new. I could see you making everything in her book! Glad to see trying so many new cheese, you're an inspiration
Dave in CT

Gustav

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 04:21:32 PM »
I will see if I can get it here at Exclusive books or something.
I'm on a mission to make as many different types of cheese before the end of the year!
I make alot of other stuff as well. Here is what I made so far. Let me know what else there is to make. lol ;D
I already made cottge cheese, cream cheese, ricotta, gouda, cheddar, emmenthal, swiss, maasdammer, jarlsberg, parmesan, mascarpone, mozzarella, feta, halloumi cheese, brie, camembert. Then I made some yogurt, probiotic yogurt, drinking yogurt, condensed milk, evaporated milk, amasi, mageu, butter, cultured butter, buttermilk, cultured buttermilk, cheese spread, umm... I think that's it, unless I'm missing something.

I'm still busy making other cheese that's not on this list.
I'm at the point of really understanding the science behind this & i'm playing/combining my own cultures for cheese. Making my own cheese now.

Luckily I have enough milk to tdo this.

I'm reading dairy chemistry & biochemistry. It's quite large(About 400 pages) If you msg me ur mail, I'll mail it for you. & it helped me understand the science very well. I suggest anyone to read it as it will make you a pro I'm sure.

Tomer1

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 07:39:54 PM »
PC can really put an interested turn on semi hard washed curd cheeses with natural rind  like tomme without accually softening the paste.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 08:35:38 PM »
Tomer, interesting you're mentioning this.  This very moment, in some conversation with Pav, working to find a PC that will work well with my tomme grise.  Good example here:

- Paul

simbiotic

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 11:19:27 PM »
Gustav,
You have made a lot of cheese .
I am trying to do the same make as many as possible.
Can you please post me your cream cheese recipe as I have been trying to find a good one,
Thanks

Gustav

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 06:16:30 AM »
No problem, here is the one I use.

Just be careful if you mix in the salt & other herbs & stuff afterwards so that you don't turn the cheese into butter. ;D

I follow this recipe, but I don't use only cream, I use half the cream the recipe calls for & the other half I replace with full cream milk. This helps with the blending afterwards.

Ingredients
1/2 Gallon Fresh Cream (1.89L)
4 oz. Mesophilic Starter Culture (118ml)
1/4 tab Rennet (or 0.7ml vegetarian liquid rennet)
1. Mix 1/2 gallon fresh cream with 4 oz. of mesophilic starter.
2. Mix 1/4 tab Rennet into two tablespoons of COOL water. Mix this into the milk thoroughly using a whisk and stirring for at least 5 minutes.
3. Cover and set aside to ripen for about 12-15 hours at room temp (70°F / 21°C).
4. The milk should be a firm curd within 15 hours, however the full 12-15 hours is needed to develop the correct flavour.
5. After 12-15 hours, gently ladle the curds into a colander lined with a FINE cheese cloth.
6. Allow the curds to drain for awhile then tie the four corners of the cloth together. Hang it to drain 6-8 hours.
7. After the curds have drained, place the curds into a small bowl.
8. Mix by hand until pasty.
9. Add salt, herbs, etc. to taste.
Place the cheese into a sealable container into a refrigerator. The cheese will firm up a little once under refrigeration.

Offline sprocket

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
  • Default personal text
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 04:19:15 PM »
Tomer, interesting you're mentioning this.  This very moment, in some conversation with Pav, working to find a PC that will work well with my tomme grise.  Good example here:

ArnaudForestier - Is this a picture of one of your Tomme Grises?  It looks amazing!  What sorts of rind development/affinage techniques did you use?