Author Topic: First Sbrinz  (Read 2829 times)

anutcanfly

First Sbrinz
« on: January 04, 2012, 05:12:35 PM »
I'm going to make Sbrinz tomorrow, but I'm not sure which cultures would be appropriate. 

For a 4 gallon batch I am planning to use:

1/4 tsp TA
1/4 tsp LH
1/8 tsp PS

If anyone has knowledge on this cheese please say something!

I suppose it really doesn't matter if it's not really Sbrinz as I will end up with a very hard grating swiss, which should be yummy...18 months from now! :)

anutcanfly

Re: First Sbrinz
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 05:54:11 PM »
I went ahead and made Sbrinz.  I didn't find the info I hoped for so I'm guessing at it.  Got the right type of milk.  I didn't notice until this morning that the temp it needs to sweat at for the next month (65F) is going to be a pain.  The main house is too warm (68F) and the back room that's unheated is too cold (55-60F)!  The make went very well.  Now to sweat it for a month, then age it 18 months--minimum!

First Sbrinz #45

4 gallons raw Brown Swiss cow milk, pH 6.6
¼ tsp TA
¼ tsp LH
¼ tsp PS
¼ tsp chymosin

floc x 2
brine SG 1160

Warmed milk to 90 degrees, added cultures and let sit 5 minutes.
Stirred and let ripen 15 minutes, pH ?

Added rennet and waited for floc.  Floc in 16 minutes x 2 = 32 minutes total set time. Temp 90 degrees.

Cut curd into rice sized pieces, taking 5 minutes to do so.  Let settle for 10 minutes.  Temp 90 degrees, pH 6.5

Raised temp to 131 degrees taking an hour to do so.  Let curds settle. Temp 131 degrees, pH 6.2

Drained and hooped.  Pressed for 1 hour at 36 lbs, redressed and pressed for 1 hour at 100 lbs, redressed and pressed at 204 lbs for 18 hours.

Placed in brine for 18 hours, flipping after 9.

Make went very well!  Made all temp, time, pH targets.

Yield out of mold, 3 lbs 14 oz

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 04:14:16 PM »
Looks great, I searched the forum and looks like member Sailor Con Queso was thinking of making one and thus you are trailblazing here, have fun!

zenith1

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 04:50:06 PM »
Ah-something new for us to try. Thanks for posting your notes.

anutcanfly

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 05:15:12 PM »
I thought that might be the case--18 months minimum is rather daunting!   Crossing my fingers and toes!  :)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 08:14:43 PM »
Hey, anut, are you out there? It's been a while since we've heard from you. I may have to PM you.

How did this turn out? Very curious...was thinking of trying this style.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.