Author Topic: Brown spots - diagnosis?  (Read 6425 times)

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
Brown spots - diagnosis?
« on: June 17, 2011, 10:26:07 PM »
Hello all -

I'm into my summer beauforts; using summer paddocks.  The first wheel developed something I've not seen before, little black dots - or so I thought - welling up from beneath, fairly well distributed over the surface.  At first, I feared mucor cross-contamination from my tomme grise cooler - except the pattern was not at all the same, so fairly quickly dismissed that.  At any rate, fearing the worst, I did my best to gently excise the dots away. 

More have sprung up.  I realize now, they're not black, but brown - and some reddish ones, as well, if my eyes aren't deceiving me. 

Natural milk pigmentation?  Micrococcae?  I did find this, which I thought was interesting:

...while the chromogenic propionic acid bacteria form red and brown spots
in Emmental cheese....

Though I don't believe p. shermanii migrates to the surface, as a facultative anaerobe, typically.  Sailor, if around, any microbiological thoughts?  Anyone?

While we're at it, Beaufort 2 at about 3 1/2 mos:

And my latest Summer Beaufort - just brined, dried and washed with its first wash:

- Paul

Brie

Re: Brown spots - diagnosis?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 01:40:46 AM »
I would let them go--I've had it on all my aged Swiss cheeses--I normally vac-pac after 3 months. Yours look very good!

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 02:01:54 AM »
Good to know, thanks, Brie.  Interesting you get them, too, on your swiss - wonder if it is indeed the shermanii?
- Paul

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 04:05:17 AM »
I had them on a recent manchego, freaked out for a bit, washed for a while with salt/vinegar, then vac-bagged at 2 months. Seems fine now.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 09:51:16 AM »
Thanks, Pam.  While I regret cutting into the rind to try and get rid of them, originally, very curious what they are.  If you're getting them in your manchego, then it looks like the p. shermanii theory is suspect. 
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 10:30:25 AM by ArnaudForestier »
- Paul

Brie

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 12:18:37 AM »
I believe it may be that the humidity is too high--which is why I vac-pack after a few months.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 12:49:55 AM »
Brie, that would surprise me - Beaufort, for instance, calls for anywhere from 94-98% RH.  My cooler rides at around 93%, and that hasn't changed (first time I've seen this, and other Beauforts have been at this RH, w/o this effect, in other words).  The big difference is a milk source - farm fresh - and a different morge composition (includes MVA, LB, and a few different linens).
- Paul

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 08:12:08 PM »
I wouldn't worry too much. Cosmetic at best. I believe the humidity is too high. What you have to consider is that localized humidity in a small confined space is not the same as the same humidity reading in a large cave. In a small space, high humidity can have a lot of variable hot spots. When you are pushing moisture towards saturation point, you're going to get some mold.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 08:22:45 PM »
Thanks, Sailor.  Makes good sense.  The only weird thing is that I've had other Beauforts in this cave for 4 months or so, with none of this - this is the first wheel where it's happened, and another wheel, following it, hasn't (so far) developed anything like this.  This showed up very quickly on this wheel, so I thought perhaps it was something intrinsic to the wheel itself, that rang out.  The other thing, if this indicates anything, is that it tends to rub off quite easily with washing. 

Will watch and adjust RH - thanks again.
- Paul