Author Topic: Grape Vine Leave Wrapped Cheese Recommendations?  (Read 1725 times)

cottagecheese

Grape Vine Leave Wrapped Cheese Recommendations?
« on: June 18, 2011, 10:04:02 AM »
My grape vines are growing like mad so I have plenty of leaves, and hopefully grapes soon to make wine.  I also have milk from my goat so I would love to make a cheese and wrap it in the vine leaves.

I've tried searching on the board but can't find any info - can anyone point me in the right direction or suggest a good recipe?

Thanks
Sharon

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
Re: Grape Vine Leave Wrapped Cheese Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 11:41:00 AM »
Is your objective to wrap for presentation purposes or actually eat the leaves.  Grape leaves when young may be blanched in boiling water for a short duration and thereafter eaten with some type of (filler). I have never known anyone to eat them raw.

cottagecheese

Re: Grape Vine Leave Wrapped Cheese Recommendations?
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 12:54:42 PM »
I wasn't intending to eat the leaves, I don't actually like the taste of stuffed vine leaves.

I have made a simple soft goats cheese and let it stand for 48 hours.  Yesterday I picked some vine leaves and soaked them for several hours in wine previously made from that vine.  They weren't particularly supple so I heated up the wine and dunked them in it.

I drained them off and then tried to wrap the cheese with the leaves but it was difficult to get them to stick to the cheese.  I finished it off by tying with string.

It's my intention to let this sit now for 7 days before tasting.

Any suggestions welcome.