Author Topic: Humidity Gadgets  (Read 2179 times)

Louise

Humidity Gadgets
« on: June 18, 2011, 04:47:49 PM »
Hi folks,
Having initially used a Honeywell humidifier which I modified  >:D which was working ok untill it went caput and I woke up to a very wet floor, so I decided and after being inspired after looking at 'Handes Humidifiyer Prototype' to try to find something similar and found  a  Lifemax Humidifier (battery or adapter), which to be honest though really small and it looked perfect, after a few days this thing just doesn't do the job :'(. 
I am now pondering on buying  a small Mist Maker/Fogger running on a simple timer, so I was wondering has anyone tried one?
I have tried bowls of water to no effect - humidity only at 50% using different temps of water and so on.
Another thing is, after all this time I still haven't made any cheese  :( as I wanted to get the storage conditions right.  I want to make a cheddar type and will be wrapping them but I will be coating them in a professional dip (not wax) cheese coat, so will the humidity level be detrimental or will a high humidity still be required in order for them not to dry out?
Any advice warmly received.

Louise

Re: Humidity Gadgets
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 08:36:08 PM »
Ok I caved in and this morning I purchased a single membrane Exo Terra Fogger Unit designed for reptiles.  After hours of tweaking (finding the right water housing for it to sit in without spewing loads of droplets out everywhere) I now have it semi tweaked to nearly just (according the the book I have, lol) in giving a RH of 78 -86 and temp ranges of 11.0 C - 13.3 C, plugged into a timer and alls well (fingers crossed).  To be honest I should have bought one of these units from day one - very pleased so far. 
Starter culture has now been made in readiness  >:D  slowly getting there after a huge amount of patience  A)

Ooo, as to the mist makers/foggers manufactureres claims that they give out no heat - not true, as a slight amount of heat is emitted due to the ultrasonic way in which they create the humidity, but easly overcome.  Also this 1 membrane unit I have is operating in a 48 litre bottle fridge, but I reckon it could easily handle a bigger fridge.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 08:51:47 PM by Louise »

Louise

Re: Humidity Gadgets
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 01:59:30 PM »
Found this (looks easy to make)

http://www.cheesesaver.com/