Author Topic: Rennet Coagulated Curd - Stirring Hard Immediately After Cutting, Impact?  (Read 2287 times)

DeepSix

Hello all,

This is my first make so I wanted to detail the experience and get some feedback.  I used the following recipe: http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,6505.msg46408.html#msg46408

I followed this to the letter using store bought pasteurized/homogenized milk, all the way through adding the renet. (I did add CaCl)  This is where things went sideways.

I used the bowl test to determine the folcculation point which was 18 minutes... That seems pretty long. I used a multiplier of 3.5 which gave me 64 min I believe. At that point, the milk still didn't have a clean break so I went plus 16 min from there... That seems like a really long time.

The curd was still pretty soft when I cut it.  This is where I made a big mistake.  I immediately started stirring the curd and didn't let it firm up.  I ended up with very fine curd... Probably around rice size by the time I was done. I drained a ton of weigh from it and followed the normal steps of cutting and stacking. It also didn't seem to want to knit very well.

So what am I likely to end up with in terms of taste and texture based on the following:
   1-curds took a super long time to reach the clean break point.
   2- I broke them down super small.
   3- the curds were dry enough that they didn't want to knit very well.

Also, how long should I age this cheese before cutting it?

Thanks,

Jason

dthelmers

A longer time from rennet to cut would make your curd hold more whey, so a moister cheese. A smaller cut would make your curd release more whey, so a drier cheese. I think you evened yourself out on this, and it will be just fine. P/H milk often has a fragile curd, particularly at the outset, even with CaCl added. I use the handle of my skimmer to stir at first; and when I say stir, I mean very gently nudging the curd around until it starts to shed more whey and firm up, then I switch to the skimmer end and lift from the bottom.
It sounds like your rennet might be a little weak, try increasing the amount on the next make. Also, I dilute my rennet just before adding, in cold water. I have the idea that the rennet loses something from sitting and from getting warm - may be my imagination.
Dave in CT

DeepSix

Thank you for the advice.  I'm inclined to think this will be on the dryer side as the curds were very firm by the time I put them in the mold.  Probably like a cheddar but I never cooked the curds above 89 degrees so... not sure where that leaves me.  After pressing, the cheese did seem to mold pretty well and it is nice and firm.

Next time I'll take more pics during the make so I have better doccumentation.

Thanks,

Jason

PS. At my wife's urging, I added some jalapenos and red pepper flakes.   

DeepSix

One other thing, I had some leftover curd after i put it all in the molds.  I tasted it and it seemed pretty bland. (not acidic or sharp)  It was a little salty but it was all on the surfaces and not diffused through the curd (which I'm guessing will happen over time.)

Since it is not starting out very acidic, should I age it longer to get a sharper flavor?  Would that even work?

Thanks,

Jason

JeffHamm

Hi Jason,

One thing about using the floc method is that you cut regardless of "clean break" status.  The combination of long floc and small curds may have saved you this time though, so that was lucky!  Increase your rennet just a tad next time, as you're only just over ideal floc times (10-15 minutes is the target zone).  By the end of it though, it all seems to have gone together well, and you have a couple of cheeses to try in a couple months.  Some say this is ready in 4 weeks, but it's probably not a bad idea to stretch it out to 6 or 8 if you can.

- Jeff

DeepSix

Thanks Jeff,

I will definitely keep the rennet in mind.  I think my milk was at the core of the difficulty I had with this make.  It was the best of the store bought variety but still not great.  As of tomorrow, I'm done using P/H milk as I found a Jersey cow just down the street with milk for $5 per gallon.  I think the extra $2 per gallon is nothing for the difference in quality.

I'm going to give it a couple of days and then wax it to mature.  I'll check it at six and eight weeks to see how it goes.

Jason

darius

Are you Jason Molinari? (Sorry if I didn't spell it right.) If so, I love your charcuterie blog!

DeepSix

No, I'm just a regular Jason  :)

I know what you mean though, he has a great blog. Actually, his blog was kind the last thing that pushed me over the edge into making charcuterie.  He is frequently part of the discussions on sausageforum.com and has really helped me out several times.

Thanks,

Jason

darius

Well, nice to 'meet' you anyway, regular Jason!

I agree, JM has helped and inspired me a lot in making charcuterie, both by his blog, and on the sausage forum.

JeffHamm

Hi Jason.  So, did you taste this one yet?  If so, how did it turn out? 

- Jeff