Author Topic: Do Blues need flipping during aging?  (Read 1745 times)

darius

Do Blues need flipping during aging?
« on: June 19, 2011, 05:06:35 PM »
Sorry, I know it's a dumb question... but I haven't seen the answer anywhere.

Thanks.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
Re: Do Blues need flipping during aging?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 05:17:27 PM »
Actually, Darius, I don't think it's a dumb question at all.  The question, as a general proposition with mold-covered wheels, piques my mind as well.  I age on shelving, not matting; one of my caves is devoted to mucor development, "cat's fur," and I'm seeking long-hyphae.  It's difficult on shelving - the wood tends to naturally compress the mold.  Still, it's been done this way for eons, so it must be achievable. 

I tend to flip twice a day, but I wonder if a different regimen of less frequent turnings, to encourage taller growth (stronger flavor, stronger penetration, thicker rind, all the rusticity I'm trying to achieve) would be in order. 

Not sure if this is exactly where you're going with your question, but the question of turning has occupied me of late, so looking forward to this thread. 
- Paul

Knoal

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 08:03:55 PM »
I'm a noob, but I'm in the process of a stilton clone right now.  We just went out of town for 5 days and the clone didn't get flipped.  It seemed to me that the bottom had gotten wetter/damper and the P. Candidum (did I get it right), the white stuff started growing, the the damp region. 

My conclusion is to continue flipping every 3 days or so during aging, as there is still 'free whey' in the cheese.

Knoal

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 08:15:18 PM »
Blue mold hates to be wet, so if you don't flip every day for a while you will choke off the blue on the bottom.

darius

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 08:57:08 PM »
Cool answers, Thanks to All!

I did flip mine this morning, and shall continue...

OudeKaas

Blues with a feeling
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 12:24:40 AM »
Just to add a data point . . . I am 2.5 months into my first Stilton attempt now. I have been flipping them each time I take the 'blue box' out of my cave/fridge. Oddly enough, I feel like the mold has been growing faster on whichever side is currently on the bottom, resting on a bamboo sushi mat in the plastic container. No excess moisture there, though.

I do worry about the impact of my (even very careful) finger imprints on the cheeses - I always seem to come away with a dusting of powdery mold on them. And recently I noticed that the (regularly flipped an interchanged) flat top and bottom of the cheese seemed to have better mold coverage, so I decided to lay them on their rounded sides to see if that might improve them. But I can't say I've seen any perceptible change there. And there is still a significant ammonia odor holding its own amidst the increasingly appealing funky blue/earthy overall aroma.

So, nothing conclusive really, just another n00b-ish report. Going to cut one of these open any day now, I can already feel my patience slipping away (my mantra: Sailor sez 90 das, Sailor sez 90 days, Sailor sez . . . )!

smilingcalico

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 04:48:08 AM »
@ Arnaud, I age on wood.  I have many different Goudas going on.  The only type that grows mucor is the red wine soaked.  I flip once a day, but when I come back from the weekend, they can be pretty hairy after not getting flipped.  On my stout ones only GC grows (at times a minor blue, but the GC always wins).   pH and food source really make a big difference.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 10:25:07 AM »
Thanks, Brand and Smiling, on the data points.  My mucor has exploded, just wondering if the shelving suppressed the length.  Interestingly, since posting this, I've noticed that despite being on flat shelving, there is new, fuzzy growth on all 3 wheels.  The one thing I learned is to leave it alone - I was concerned about it being too aggressive, to be honest, and so rubbed the first 2 wheels after 2 weeks; I wish I hadn't, as I'd love to have allowed a deeper, thicker rind of the mold.  Wheel 3 is being left alone entirely, and so far, everything's on course.

Darius, apologies for my hijack.  I'll create a "mucor" thread at some point, and leave you to your blues discoveries.  Best of luck. :)
- Paul