Author Topic: Coagulation, Rennet, Tablet, Junket Brand - No Clean Break  (Read 1805 times)

drjillian

Coagulation, Rennet, Tablet, Junket Brand - No Clean Break
« on: June 15, 2011, 11:37:17 PM »
I am in the early stages of making Halloumi.

I have heated Snowville non-homogenized whole milk to 90 degrees F and added 1/2 tab of Junkett rennet (diluted in 1/4 cup water) however after 1 hour the milk hadn't curdled.
I then proceeded to add another tab of rennet diluted in 1/2 cup water.

This is all occurring in real time  ::)

If it still doesn't curdle, what do the wise sages of cheese recommend I do?
*should I add Calcium Chloride?

drjillian

Re: Coagulation, Rennet, Tablet, Junket Brand - No Clean Break
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 01:29:24 AM »
Houston, we have coagulation. Although I am unsure as to what the consequences are of adding so much rennet... I guess we shall see when the cheese is finished. It is in the press now.

Made up some Anari with the whey.... yummy! I have high hopes for this halloumi!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 01:52:02 AM by drjillian »

drjillian

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 02:37:41 AM »
Final status: although my halloumi is not as beautiful as John's halloumi, haha (http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,2916.0.html), it is very delicious!

This is the recipe I used- although I only used 1 gallon of milk because that is all that I had on hand.

http://www.buildanark.net/index.php?pages/Making%2520Halloumi%2520and%2520Anari%2520Cheese.html

MrsKK

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 01:48:55 PM »
When I used Junket rennet, I typically had to use a full tablet of it per gallon of milk.  And it did take longer to coagulate than when I used liquid calf rennet or even for veggie tablet or powdered calf rennet.  It is usable, but you have to be a lot more flexible in your expectations.

I'm glad your cheese turned out well for you.

drjillian

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 04:01:41 PM »
thank you- i was wondering what ratio would be appropriate.

1 tablet: 1 gallon