Author Topic: My Not Havarti  (Read 2855 times)

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Ian
My Not Havarti
« on: June 21, 2011, 04:53:27 PM »
Sometimes I wonder if have as my Grandfather called it "Tinkerer's Disease" as I just cant let leave things alone.  I had posted in another thread about wanting to change the the cheese/ageing method post make, well I ended up giving into the tinkerer and changed things but honestly it was not my fault ::)

I started out with a Havarti that I made from the 200 Cheeses Recipe and all was well and I was fighting the urge to change things up.   I went away on a Field Exercise and came back to a Havarti covered in blue, I then proceeded to clean up the blue and what id I find on the top of the cheese, but a large brown/reddish blotch and I thought hey why not.  So out came the can of Guinness and my "Not Havarti" Started.  It has been an ordeal with the igloo breaking down, using it as an ice box, and now with the new wine fridge things are seem to be progressing.  It is now a little over a month old.  I have stopped washing it for now, with all the issues with the fridges, but I think I may go back to once a week.  It has a really nice mushroom smell and even my Son can't wait to get into it. 

Here are some pictures

Cheese Head

Re: My Not Havarti
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 09:33:45 PM »
Great snaps and great looking cheese, not as dark as I would expect from all that Guinness. Molds like your blue are very very hard to keep away from natural rind cheeses, thus most people oil or vacuum bag/wax or wash like you are doing.

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Ian
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 10:16:54 PM »
Tanks John,

I too am surprised at how light it is, I was expecting it to go darker, I even let it out of the cave a few time to see what would happen.   These pictures were taken last week, it has darkened up a slight bit.  I checked on it this morning before work and it looks like I have some more blue on it, time to start washing it again.

smilingcalico

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 03:14:39 AM »
My stout soaked cheeses always grow a healthy bloom of GC without any intervention.  They're a nice baseball mitt brown. I recently started oiling them just before sale, which darkens them a little more.

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Ian
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 01:43:04 PM »
Thanks for the tip, I did have a good bloom of GC, I was concerned with the blue, but I think I have that under control now.  Just out of curiosity what type of oil do you use, and what if any is the impact on the flavour?

smilingcalico

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 05:26:36 AM »
For now, just a light olive oil.  Doesn't seem to change the flavor.  Thinking of doing linseed (flax) oil, as it polymerizes naturally, and is more traditional to Gouda.

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Ian
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 04:23:45 PM »
Thinking of doing linseed (flax) oil, as it polymerizes naturally, and is more traditional to Gouda.

I have been looking for Flax seed oil, but can only find a olive/grape seed/flax blend.  I was under the impression that grape seed oil leaves an unpleasant flavour on the cheese so I have been hesitant to use it.  I used olive oil instead.

I wasn't going to open up the wheel so soon, but I am leaving for the lake in a few days to visit my wife's family and I promised them some cheese (They were subjected to my first few disasters).  Here are some pictures of the results.  They are the shots of what I am calling the top, bottom and one of it cut in half.

It had a really pronounced smell when I first cut it open, not a bad smell, but just in your face.  It mellowed as I finished up my sectioning and bagging.  Right out of the fridge it has a mellow flavour with a slight tang at the end.  I waited until it came up to room temperature to taste again.  It still had the mild start, but finished with a better flavour at the end.  Not as strong as some of my other cheeses, but not soapy like a few of the others.  My "focus group" (my co-workers) quite enjoyed it and commented that the smell added to character of the cheese.  I will definitely add this to the list of ones make again. Of course it has to get in line as I still have others I want to make.  I think once I am done my experimenting to find out which ones I like to make I will pair things down and make only a few types.  Any way here are the pictures

JeffHamm

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 01:36:40 AM »
That looks really nice.  The rind is a great colour, and I really like the contrast between the rind and paste in the cut photo.  Well done.

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 05:37:37 AM »
Beautiful looking rind. I especially like the bowed edge. How did you get that to happen? It looks to be a small cheese wheel, but I thought that bowing only happened with the really bigger wheels.

Nice.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Ian
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 08:03:50 PM »
... I especially like the bowed edge. How did you get that to happen? It looks to be a small cheese wheel, but I thought that bowing only happened with the really bigger wheels.

Hi Boofer,

I was under the impression that this only happens to large cheese too. I have had this happen to most of my cheeses (My Gouda's, my Parmesan, Caerphilly, and to some extent my Tomme) now that I have increased the amount of milk I use (14L)  I can only assume it is because I am not pressing them at the right weight.  I have a press that I have to adjust the pressure with  a top screw and the mold is a cylinder that came with it. 

In the directions from 200 Cheeses to make the Havarti, it said to use light pressure for 20 minutes (I had so much curd that I could not hook up the screw and had to place a 2L jug of water on the  and then use medium pressure for the 6 to 8 hours.  I pressed for 8 hours and it was still quite moist and a great deal of whey was still seeping.  During the air drying phase (there was no brine soak in the directions) it was starting to sag, so I kept flipping it several times a day with the hopes to even it out.  I air dried it for a few days, the great thing about Alberta is that our climate is a dry one, and had the bowing on the sides.  I thinks I was just lucky on this one.

Ian