Author Topic: Cave, Refrigererator - Controlling Humidity  (Read 4201 times)

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
Cave, Refrigererator - Controlling Humidity
« on: June 22, 2011, 11:49:49 AM »
Hello,

Does anyone know if there is a method of lowering the humidity inside an aging refrigerator.  I am getting very high readings, and my rind takes a long time to develop.  My temperature is 54 and humidity is above 85%.
Thanks

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
Re: Cave, Refrigererator - Controlling Humidity
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 11:55:35 AM »
George, not sure what cheese you're doing, but I wouldn't consider above 85% excessive RH, as a general rule, particularly if you're doing a long-aged, harder rind cheese.
- Paul

morfeo

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 01:03:36 PM »
I agree with ArnaudForestier your RH is just fine like that, you will develop a rind over time. Lower humidity will make your cheese crack.
In the other hand if you are trying just to dry your cheese just to wax it you can try to keep the humidity about 80% until is dry to touch, or just let it sit on the counter for a day until it fills dry to touch.
If your cheese is inside a container in the cave, and you want to lower the humidity all you have to do is wipe the excess of water inside the container and try to keep the lid a little open. If the humidity drops to much just close the lid and add a damp paper towel until you get the right humidity.

DeepSix

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 12:31:49 AM »
I work with charcuterie more than cheese so the drying environment has to be very precise to make sure the product is safe. I spent some time researching this so if you need more elaborate details, just let me know.

To keep temperature and humidity stable, you must have opposing forces.  This allows you to adjust the paramerters to the desired point.  The most crucial thing for me was starting with a frost free freezer.  Every Time the pump kicks on, it dehumidifies the air.  Then I have a hygrometer control plugged into a humidifier.  In this way, there are always opposing forces that allow you to set a range.  I use a freezer temp controller unit to keep the temp at 52 and the hygrometer at 82.  The whole setup can be done for $200 or so.

Thanks,

Jason

smilingcalico

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 05:07:15 AM »
I think you're probably ok, but if you still want to reduce humidity you can buy a dehumidifying agent.  The only place I've bought mine (to reduce humidity in a VW bus) was at West Marine.

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 02:03:42 AM »
Thanks for all the responses.  I would be very interested in learning more about setting up a humidifier in a refrigerator, if someone has an online source or litterature, that sounds very interesting.
Thanks again.
George

DeepSix

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 09:20:04 PM »

Cheese Head

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 11:34:54 PM »
I tried using a small chest style frost free freezer with external thermostat and had build up of hummidity resulting in wet walls and water puddles at bottom, one solution I was recommended was to put a bucket of salt in there to try and dehumidify it, end story is I gacve aup and sold it, way easier to add humidity than to remove.

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 12:47:06 AM »
Thanks for the link to the post which outlines your setup Jason,  I actually have a Delfield commercial refrigerator with a digital thermostat which can be raised to a max temp of 62.  I have it set at 52F, but now I am beginning to think that perhaps my hygrometer is not working since it's showing 99% humidity (it should be raining in there).  I need to do some research on a good humidity meter.
Thanks again folks.

DeepSix

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 10:12:14 AM »
A couple of things to consider:

1) George, if your unit is a refrigerator, it most likely doesn't have the dehumidifier function so even when the pump comes on, it is probably not pulling the humidity down.  Air circulation is also important so you could block your door open slightly if your climate is not too warm.  More fresh air will get in and your humidity should fall but then your pump will run more.  I know some guys that have had luck with the salt thing as well.

2) I've never tried this with a small freezer so I can't comment.  I will say that even though my enclosure is large and has a commercial compressor, I do get a humidity spike when I put fresh sausage in it.  (basically leaking moisture)  I think you would have pretty good luck with most any full size frost free freezer that cools with circulated air.  (you probably want to avoid the type that run coolant through the shelves)

Anyway, best of luck to you. 

Jason