Author Topic: Yogurt - Without Denaturing & Using Rennet  (Read 8870 times)

linuxboy

Re: Yogurt - Without Denaturing & Using Rennet
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2011, 07:50:52 AM »
107 is a good temp. And that culture mix is pretty decent, makes for a nice set.

What texture profile are you looking for? More like a creamy, sour-cream like yogurt? Or one where you spoon and it forms almost a clean break? Or one that just coats the spoon nicely when you stick it in? Or maybe tell me a commercial variety you like? I can dial it in for you. Those additives create slightly different properties. Also, I'm with you, I don't have an issue with those additives, especially for a specialty application like this where you are using raw milk, but if your customers do, you can explain about their properties, and can go the extra mile and process a big batch to use for a few years. If you do it yourself, it's also a lot cheaper. The raw materials are not terribly expensive.

BigCheese

Re: Yogurt - Without Denaturing & Using Rennet
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2011, 04:48:13 PM »
Well last night's batch seemed to turn out quite well. It's stil chilling but looked quite good. I used the cooler but although the thermostat was set to 107, the milk never went above 95, but nonetheless it looks good and smelled nice. I will see how it compares to my goal.

Otherwise, I think we are going for a soft clean break. A clean break that preferably does not leave you with huge pools of whey, but they are not that bad.

Anyway, I am thinking that my new seedling mat may do the trick all on its lonesome, so please spare me no more thought until further notice :)

Appreciate all your help, as always.