Author Topic: First Cheddar Started  (Read 1361 times)

Louise

First Cheddar Started
« on: June 22, 2011, 09:46:26 PM »
HI guys,
This is my first ever cheese and started with a Cheddar  :o  ;D   >:D
Using 5 litres Organic 3.6 fat whole milk (pasturised) added 1ml of sodium cloride alongside a mother culture and a quarter of a animal rennet tab.
It took 70 mins to get a clean break!
Here are the picks of it draining and the next pick under a very crude press ( 2 x 7 newton blocks weighing 18 kg each in plastic bags, with 2 x bricks & 2 x 5 kg dumbells lol)  Willl add more picks when I can.  I think they will come out a bit lobsided ::)

I was very suprised how much curds I got from it seeming I filled a 750 & 400 g mold with this batch, and that this instructions mentioned I may only get approx 500 g ^-^
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 09:55:22 PM by Louise »

Illiterate

Re: First Cheddar Started
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 08:26:19 PM »
Lopsided is OK, cut it up before serving it and nobody will know or care as long as it tastes good.
Filling the molds takes a lot of volume, check the weight after pressing, I'll bet that's what they where talking about.

Sam

Louise

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 01:22:46 AM »
Lopsided is OK, cut it up before serving it and nobody will know or care as long as it tastes good.
Filling the molds takes a lot of volume, check the weight after pressing, I'll bet that's what they where talking about.

Sam

Thanks Sam, that does make sense about the weight, and after them air drying they are a lot lighter to the weight previously mentioned and possibly now whey (lol) 400g. 

I have now made my own press, so hopefully the next batch (tomorrow) will be a whole lot better - not lobsided - fed up of hearing several bumps in the night, and having to rebuild when the blocks falls off, lol  ::)  but as you say, as long as it tastes good - oh fingers crossed XX 

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 05:56:23 AM »
added 1ml of sodium cloride
Do you mean salt (NACL) or do you mean calcium chloride (CACL2)? Typically CACL2 is added to boost the calcium ions lost in milk processing. It helps to give a firmer curd. That may have contributed to the extended time needed to get a clean break. Did you use the flocculation method for determining when to cut the curds?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Louise

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 01:53:37 PM »
oops yep I did mean calcium chloride  :-[