Author Topic: Asiago Grasso Monte (swiss or itallian depending on how it turns out)  (Read 2761 times)

Sing_cheese

I used a slight variation of a recipe from Peter Dixon (Dairy Foods Consulting) to make a wheel of this cheese over the weekend.  Used raw milk and expect to first test after about 60 days.  Also as I am making it at high temp in Singapore and whole raw milk direct from farm (no cooling between cow an cheese vat), I think conditions may be more similar to the Grasso Monte version of this cheese.

the attached pic is after flipping from second pressing.  Will take out of press this evening. And brine for 3-4 days.  Wheel was made from 35liters of raw milk and I expect the final weel will be about 5-6 kilo and roughly 4 inches by 10.5 in diameter.

details and more pics on the Urban Farmstead Singapore Cheese Adventures page

http://sites.google.com/site/urbanfarmsteadcheeselog/Home/assiego-grasso-grasso-monte

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Re: Asiago Grasso Monte (swiss or itallian depending on how it turns out)
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 08:38:59 AM »
Looks good.

Tea

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 08:36:43 PM »
Sing that looks impressive.  How long are you hoping to age this one for?

Sing_cheese

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 11:55:50 PM »
I am of mixed emotion as to the aging of this one.  There are three stages of Asiago - 2-3 months (Fresco), 3-5 months (Mezzano) and 9+ months (vecchio).  The Grasso Monte version is usually a Fresco version and is not usually brined (just rubbed with flake salt)  I chose to brine this as I want to age some of it to see how it matures.  I will most likely cut it half at two months, eat half and wax the other half and let it age a few more months.

Gerrit

Sing_cheese

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 01:19:21 PM »
The Asiago Grasso monte is out of brine and in the cave after 4 days in Brine.

Looks good to me. Now just have to wait.