Author Topic: Wholesaling Cheese - USA  (Read 5533 times)

merlin

Wholesaling Cheese - USA
« on: January 13, 2009, 04:13:57 AM »
I know I've posted this once before but with me being gone for so long I figured I'd give it another shot.  Any of you who are ready and able to make the next step and start selling your cheese wholesale let me know.  If you think your cheese is good enough to be served in some of the best resturants in the NYC area I'd love to talk to you.  Maybe we can work something out and my company could start distributing your wares on a food service basis.  I look forward to talking to the next Cypress Grove or Vermont Butter & Cheese!

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Re: Wholesaling Cheese - USA
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 07:58:34 AM »
Wow, thanks for the offer. I would love to but I have years and years to go before I can even think of it.

wharris

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 02:40:25 AM »
Rather than merely lookin to make a buck merlin,  what would be helpfull to the likes of me, is to better understand what is legally required to sell cheese to you or to anyone.

Can you help there?

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 03:24:08 AM »
I'd be interested too.

RRR

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 02:33:30 PM »
I believe, again, it is the licensing issue. If you are licensed by your state...if the milk comes from a licensed dairy...If the cheese is made in a licensed kitchen...you are able to sell the cheese across state lines.

The states all pretty much follow national standards. The only place the rules and regs vary is with the raw milk. Some states allow the sales of raw milk, some do not. For instance, in Utah I can sell raw milk, but it must be extreemly labled, and it can only be sold from a location that I own more than 50% of.

Soft cheeses that are aged less than 60 days must be made from pasteurized milk.

And then there is the question of labeling. Everything that is not sold deli style from my store must be labeled. So any one selling my cheese must receive that cheese with a label on it pertaining to ingredients etc.

Side note... the pasteurizer must be certified and have many gagets. I am negotiating on a new pasteurizer/cheese vat now and the bare bones cost is 10,000.

goat lady

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 03:41:47 PM »
Have any of you considered doing wine tasting?? I was invited to sample my cheeses at a liquer store that was doing a wine tasting. I did not sell at that time,I wanted feed back and it was very educational. Something you might want to consider.

wharris

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 03:44:33 PM »
That is an interesting thought.  I guess if you are willing to sell your cheese, you should not be afraid of a little critical feedback from wine tasters.

I may do this.