Author Topic: P candidum Innoculant - Making From Rind & Pregnancy & Bloomy Cheese Discussion  (Read 10761 times)

JeffHamm

Hi gemma,

I believe for pregnancy the issue is pathogens that may be in the raw milk rather than the culture.  Listeria (sp?) is the biggest danger, and pasturization takes care of that pretty much.

- Jeff

gemma.tyson

Suppose it's a matter of better safe than sorry though.  Two pretty special people!

margaretsmall

I used the ones that came with the kit that my partner bought for me.  Mad Millie only has this one.  They don't have any GEO.
We live in a small country town in Victoria, Australia.  In the area where the bush fires were.  Two hours away from any major town.
Mail order is the only way to get any different supplies.  Have been looking at Cheeselinks, think this is a New Zealand company.

Cheeselinks is a Victorian company who are very helpful, I buy from them. Check their website www.cheeselinks.com.au
Margaret

gemma.tyson

Thanks Margaret.
My partner found the site and as a surprise has ordered me a few of the different cultures.
He tried to get me some camembert hoops as well, but not available at the moment.
Waiting for the postman now.

gemma.tyson

Way to go.  I am extremely happy.  My camembert has finally grown white mold.  The cheese cave definitely agrees with it.
Will post a photo tonight.

Rizzo

Instead, I add the slurry into 100-200ml of clean cool water with 2% salt. I let this mix stand for at least 12 hours in room temp before refrigerating it. This liquid is than used as a SPRAY on top of the cheese (or wash if this is a washed-rind type).

It is more effective and active, you need to use less, you don't have any chunks in your milk and you have less risk of contamination, you can keep it and use it on future cheese for 2-3 weeks if you made enough.

Hi
If using this method, how much would you spray on, e.g. a couple of good squirts?
and do you spray all over the cheese, or just in one area, to let it grow and spread?
thanks
Ian