Author Topic: Curd Stirrer - Padle, By Carter  (Read 3623 times)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Curd Stirrer - Padle, By Carter
« on: January 12, 2009, 11:56:49 PM »
I visited the restaurant supply company today looking for a long handled spoon to stir the curds, remember I'm using a keg and it's 24" high, they didn't have much that was cheap, so I bought this, it's about 4 feet high and was only $25. It's stainless and it double as a paddle to beat people away from my cheese.

wharris

Re: Curd Stirrer - Padle, By Carter
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 01:37:59 AM »
I need one of those.

Damn.  You have the coolest stuff.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 02:17:33 AM »
Thanks Wayne, it was over kill but wasn't super expensive, granted the dam 21" SS spoon was only $4, but they didn't have any 31" in stock. The benefit is less work because there is more mass with that size paddle.

Likesspace

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 02:53:50 AM »
I agree with Wayne.
I was completely satisfied with my cheese making operation until I started reading on this board and seeing all of the cool toys you make and have.
If and when you ever start offering all of this equipment to the public, I'm sure I'll start breaking out my wallet.
I'll be the only person on this board who can make a nice 2 lb. wheel of cheese that only cost me $700.00 to produce. :D
Honestly, I realize you bought the paddle, but I am so envious of your manufacturing skills.

Dave

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 05:51:04 AM »
I have the materials to make it but for $25. I'm not one of those people who has to make everything. I usually do because it costs too much to buy.

Sing_cheese

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 02:49:22 AM »
Nice new spoon.  I finally found a really long (~2 foot) onion wisk at supply house.  Works great for alpine and swiss types as it helps to break the curds up into the rice size pieces required and great at sorting out clumping while cooking. I found that the large spoon was OK but I needed to use a long curd knife to sort out the clumps in big vats.  The onion wisk does both so I do not need two hands to this.  Then again I do not have the auto stir machine that you have built and have to stir byhand intermitently (hence the clumping issue). 

I had never found industrial kitchen supply stores interesting, since begining cheese makng, they are like a new form of toy store.  I have to watch my wallet every time I go, as I tend to start thinking bigger and bigger and I rarely can leave without the boot of the car nearly full and my wallet much lighter.

Gerrit

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 08:10:46 AM »
Yes I know what you mean. I chose the spoon cause it's $25, long whisks were in the $45-$60 range.

wharris

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 04:51:07 PM »
I could have flown to Europe for what it has cost me over the years in Wine/cheese/hunting equipment. 

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 07:17:13 PM »
Wayne, I know what you mean. Years ago when I first started making cheese (2001) I weighed the cost/benefit of making cheese, that's what made me stop originally. As the years grow longer I realized it's the journey that's priceless, I'm not making cheese to save money, I never have. I made cheese because it's an enjoyable experience and when the world comes to an end, I can build myself a house and feed myself.

P.S. I forgot this was the cheese spoon thread. I thought, when I went to use the spoon today, that it was a little ridiculous but in actuality it works great. Full control of how much you splash because of the mass behind it and the leverage from the long handle, which makes stirring easier on the arms.