Author Topic: IrisD's Camembert Making - Slip Skin Problem  (Read 3164 times)

IrisD

IrisD's Camembert Making - Slip Skin Problem
« on: January 13, 2009, 08:21:01 PM »
Hi Cheese lovers,

I have made quite a few batches of camembert.  The aging is done at 6 deg C in a closed containers with a mat in a regular refrigerator.  Unfortunately, the rind keeps separating from the cheese.
I would appreciate some advice from more experienced people.

Iris

Tea

Re: IrisD's Camembert Making - Slip Skin Problem
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 08:50:54 PM »
Hi IrisD, and this is a good question.  I too have had some of my batched separate, but I always put is down to my not being able to keep them cool enough and thought it was through uneven ripening.  If yours are at 6C then that isn't the problem.
So anyone know why this happens?

IrisD

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 09:23:10 PM »
The separation seems to cause enhanced uneven ripening as well. 
What I suspect happens is that air starts infitrating into the space between the rind and the cheese.   The air-exposed layer ripens much faster than the deeper layers, which are still unexposed and quite packed.

Thanks,

Iris

Tea

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 10:34:50 PM »
I have wondered the same thing, as we are told that cutting the cheese will stop the ripening process.  I have found with the last couple of batches that I have made that wrapping them in silicone paper rather than the plastic wrap that I was doing, seems to have reduced that separation in the rind.  So I have been thinking that it is a combination of several factors being right.  Correct wraping, correct amount of moisture being able to escape the cheese, correct airflow to dissipate ammonia gases, and correct temp for ripening.
phew, not too much to ask for is it??

narelle

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 11:45:59 AM »
i cant see any difference in aging camembert and brie i think you are trying to age them at a too colder temperature try a warmer one i age mine between 12 -15 c

narelle

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 11:50:05 AM »
also if you want to get the best results for your efforts get some cheese wrap papers from cheeselinks you get heaps and you wont have to worry if the cheese is breathing properly its worth the investment

beeman

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 04:32:50 PM »
I notice in Ricki Carrol's catalog she states that 'Geotricum Candidum will prevent the 'skin' from slipping off the cheese'
Haven't tried a Brie type yet, so I have no proof, but it might be an answer.

RRR

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 02:08:44 PM »
I have experienced slip on my goat Saint Mauer. The slip is supposed to be caused by the composition of the milk. Goat is quite prone to slip. As beeman indicates, Geo has seemed to help prevent slip.

IrisD

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 08:02:38 PM »
Thanks everybody!
I am using Geo in combination with the candidum. 
From what I read, Geo is important for decreasing the acidity of the cheese which is  generated by the bacterial starter. This change in pH promotes healthier maturation of the bloom and less unwanted ammoniacal breakdown products.
People have suggested higher curing tmperatures but our boss says he has experienced separation at those temperatures too.
I've also wrapped the cheese in professional micro-perforated cheese paper.
From all your answers it seems the finger is pointed towards the humidity.
It seems the rind is quite breathable. However once formed it is also rather rigid.  So if the humidity is too low, the inside starts evaporating water/humidity.  Meantime, the rind stays unchanged and only passes the humidity to the outside.  The result is shrinkage and collapse of the inside walls.  Thanks again.      Iris

Tea

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 08:16:43 PM »
Hi Iris and thanks for this, that is really interesting.  I am wanting to give this another go, but will need to get in some geo first.
When you next make a batch keep us posted on how things go.
Many thanks.

Nabil

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 01:29:26 PM »
i had the same , lactic acid cheese will hold huge amount of moisture in it, and any way to trap it in a foil or any thing u will end up with amonia and slip skin.... try to withdraw water after unmolding by putting towel under the mat.. and wait extra days before wrapping