Author Topic: butter cheese from 200 Easy...  (Read 4180 times)

Trisha in WA

butter cheese from 200 Easy...
« on: June 26, 2011, 06:49:57 PM »
I just opened my first butter cheese today. I used the recipe from 200 Easy Homemade Cheese Recipes.
This cheese too a long time to dry and called for waxing. I let it air dry for 4 days (it called for 2) and then vac bagged it. Today I opened it and it has a fair amount of liquid in the bag and it smells a little yeasty. I am wondering if it is safe to eat and if so, should I "wash" it with a brine solution to help it dry out a little first? It isn't real appealing at the moment.

JeffHamm

Re: butter cheese from 200 Easy...
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 08:31:56 PM »
Hi,

I would suggest washing it off with brine, and let it air dry for a few more days.  It probably is just suface, and once that gets cleaned up, it will be more presentable.  That's the time to cut into it and decide how the interior is. 

The Butterkase I made took about 10 days to air dry, mind you, it was a bit humid here at the time.  I'm not sure how similar the recipes would be though.  Coud you post yours for comparison purposes (and include any notes from when you made it as well, just in case people have comments based upon that).  A photo would be very helpful too.

- Jeff

Trisha in WA

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 09:15:23 PM »
Thanks Jeff. I'm thinking I should have let it dry longer too.
 4 gal whole milk
1/4 cup yogurt
3/4 tsp rennet diluted in 1/4 cup water(I used veg rennet this time)

heat to 102F
mix in yogurt
ripen 40 min
add rennet
cover and set 30 min
cut into 1/2" curds
let stand 5 min
stir 20 min
let settle
measure off 1/2 of whey
replace w/ 140 F water to bring up to 108F (my water was 120F and it came up to 104)
stir 10 min
let set 10  min
pour into cloth lined colander
press @ 10 lbs 30 min
flip press @ 20 lbs 6 hours
brine 12 hours
dry 2 days until surface is fairly dry (I went 4 days)
wax and age 4 weeks (I vac bagged and it has been 3 weeks)

I decided to open it early because of the obvious moisture in the bag.

ETA It is drying out fairly well now at room temp, but I still haven't cut into it.

JeffHamm

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 02:51:55 AM »
Sounds like it is recovering.  Since you're only 3 weeks into aging it, I wouldn't cut into it for at least a week.  Take it out to 8 weeks if you can.  Regardless, post a photo and tasting notes once you do give in! :)

- Jeff

Trisha in WA

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 04:06:16 AM »
Oh boy! don't know if I can wait 8 weeks LOL I will wait at least the 4 weeks though. I'll be sure to post an update when I do.
Trisha

padams

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 02:25:58 PM »
Holy cow!  That's a lot of rennet!  Will it cause bitterness?  I've really GOT to make a cheese other than creamcheese or sour cream!  I'm going into withdrawls! :o

What temp did you age at?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 03:34:37 PM by padams »

Trisha in WA

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 06:33:09 PM »
Holy cow!  That's a lot of rennet!  Will it cause bitterness?  I've really GOT to make a cheese other than creamcheese or sour cream!  I'm going into withdrawls! :o

What temp did you age at?
It is my understanding a cheese that is eaten fairly young won't develop the bitterness from the veg rennet. I now have calf rennet, so I am not so concerned.
this is a pretty soft cheese and really wetter than any of the other hard cheeses I have made.
The temp early on was unstable but around 60F it's supposed to be at 54F but my cheese cave now is at 57F and holding steady. So, it will finish out in there.

JeffHamm

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 06:45:05 PM »
Hi Trisha,

I agree with padams.  3/4 tsp seems like a lot of rennet to me too, but then, I use something that calls for 0.7 mls in 10 L, and 4 US gallons is about 15 L.  3/4 tsp is over 3.0 mls (so about 3 times the amount I'm used to).  However, I also know of a brand of supermarket rennet that calls for 7.0 mls for 10 Litres and people have said it makes good cheese.  What do the packet instructions indicate on your brand?

Regardless, I recommend you look up the floc method (or floating bowl technique).  This not only helps you achieve greater consistency between makes but it also can be used to fine tune your rennet amounts since you are trying to achieve a floculation time in the order of 10-15 minutes.  Floculation time is when the milk just "gells" due to the rennet.  Basically, you float a small plastic bowl in your milk at the time you add the rennet.  Starting around 6-8 minutes, give it a very gentle nudge or twirl.  It should move or twirl freely.  Every 30 seconds or so, repeat.  You will notice the bowl starts to act as if the milk is "thick".  Eventually, it will not move/twirl.  That is the floculation point.  Write down how much time has passed since you added the rennet.  You are trying to get this to be in between 10 and 15 minutes.  If it's shorter, use less rennet next time.  If it's longer, use a bit more.  Anyway, you then multiply this time by some "floc factor", and for butterkase that would be 3.5 to determine your cut time.  So, if you had a floc time of 12 minutes, then 12 * 3.5 = 42 minutes.  That means you cut the curds 42 minutes after adding your rennet (don't foreget, you've already used 12 of those minutes getting to the floc time).  Cut the curds, regardless of "clean break", at the designated time.  For a longer aging, drier cheese, use a shorter floc factor (i.e. 3.0 for chedder or caerphilly, 2.0-2.5 for parmesan or romano).  Moist cheeses, like camembert use quite long floc factors (around x6.0) and so on.  Because milk varies between batches, whether raw or store bought, and how well the rennet works will vary as a result of all sorts of things (like how your culture is working, the milk, temperature, etc), the floc method results takes these changes into account while using set times does not.

Anyway, I'm sure your cheese will turn out fine.  If you do cut into it at 4 weeks, you could vaccuum seal 1/2 and save that for another month.  That works too.

- Jeff

P.S. Our posts crossed in the ether!  As for bitterness, I'm not sure how that works.  I've seen some posts say that bitterness will "fade" after long aging, but I've also been told that long aging of cheeses made with veg. rennet produces bitterness? 

Trisha in WA

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 10:41:14 PM »
For that one I used veg rennet and I don't have the bottle anymore as I used it up, but the one I have now is single-strength veal rennet and it says 1 tsp per 2 gallons of milk.

ETA I got it from Dairy Connection.

JeffHamm

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 11:34:01 PM »
I'm sure it's fine.  There's a lot of variation in rennet strength from one brand to the next that it's best to ignore what recipes say and go by what the packet tells you and use the above floc method to adjust from there.  Even if you decide to cut after a clean break, you can use the floc method to at least adjust your rennet to give you a floc time in the 10-15 minute range. 

- Jeff

Trisha in WA

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 12:23:10 AM »
Thanks for the info Jeff. For whatever reason the floc stuff is over my head at the moment. I'll get it eventually. I have thought that about other cheese making things too and have managed to figure them out.
All things in due time I guess.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 12:39:13 AM by Trisha in WA »

JeffHamm

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 01:18:49 AM »
Hi Trisha,

Yah, you'll get the floc stuff.  It's not really very complicated, but it can be hard to describe.  There was a post on the boards here that linked to a video showing you what to look for.  That really made it clear.  In the end, what it's for is to determine two things.  1: are you using the right amount of rennet and 2: when should you cut the curds. 

Most recipies give constant values for these, but really,
1: how much rennet to use depends upon the brand of rennet you're using (amongst other things) and
2: when you cut the curds depends upon how well the rennet is working with your milk for that particular make of cheese and what kind of results you are trying to get.

Floc times are just ways of determing these values through experience and note taking (in adjusting rennet amounts for 1: above) and by getting to understand how things are progressing on the day you are actually making the cheese (which is what 2: is about; time to cut "this" cheese on "this" day).  Both of these bits of information are tied into how well the rennet is working on the milk.  And the signal you are looking for is when the milk gells (gets solid enough that a plastic bowl just sticks in place when you try to gently spin it).  How quickly a given amount of rennet is able to get your milk to that point gives you an idea about what's going on in the curds, which is what you then base your decisions about 1 and 2 on.

Anyway, attached is a document someone posted here a while back which gives some information on floc multipliers and different curd sizes for various kinds of cheese.  Put this somewhere where you can reference it once you decide to figure out the floc method.  Trust me, it really is worth the effort.

- Jeff

MrsKK

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 03:35:40 AM »
Good to see you posting out here, Trisha!  I haven't tried this recipe - you'll have to let us know how it goes for you.

As for the floc method, I'm happy with waiting for a clean break and really haven't had any interest in even trying to understand flocculation.  Do whatever you are comfortable with.

Trisha in WA

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 02:37:25 PM »
Thanks Jeff. I know I'll get there eventually. I'm pretty determined about this cheese making thing LOL I have so much extra milk and we love cheese. So, I just get frustrated when we buy any cheese at the store.

Hi Karen! It seemed like a pretty easy recipe..standard stuff. When it came out of the press so soft and moist, I thought "Yay a cheese that isn't going to be dry" LOL So, it is going to be very interesting to see how it tastes.

Trisha

JeffHamm

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 02:34:16 AM »
Hi Trisha,

Just wondering how this one turned out for you?  How was the taste, etc. Did you take any photos? 

- Jeff