Author Topic: impulse sealer question  (Read 5580 times)

Offline steffb503

• Catskill Mts, NY State, USA
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
    • M & S Farm
impulse sealer question
« on: June 27, 2011, 09:56:11 AM »
I am thinking of getting one and was hoping those of you who use them can give me some pointers.
I want to be able to vac seal a large 8" wheel.

glasman

Re: impulse sealer question
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 01:51:18 PM »
bought the weston pro from a guy in seatlle on ebay. great machine and nice folks. will vac 15" bags so i'll also be vacing some wheels. he did state that these types on machines are not legal for retail sales but i use it no problem for tail gate market sales. vic

iratherfly

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 05:32:41 AM »
Isn't this JUST a sealer without vacuum?

Why not get a FoodSaver?  They are inexpensive and will vacuum (8"is easy on a FoodSaver). You can get the bags inexpensively online on eBay and Amazon and there are always good coupons for them you can find online. I have the v3840 and I found an online coupon when I bought it and got like half off and all kinds of freebies. They also have a very inexpensive handheld model.
If you are going to use it a lot you may want to get a VacMaster. Their cheaper models like the Pro 90 or Pro 130 may do the job.  They also make chamber type models for which they are well known. Chamber models don't such the air and instead they apply atmospheric pressure on the bag for the air to come out of it. They have adjustable pressure, they work instantly, and they can handle hundreds of bags per day -but they are expensive. You can get used ones from restaurant supply shops at good price.

Offline steffb503

• Catskill Mts, NY State, USA
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
    • M & S Farm
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 10:03:52 AM »
Thanks.
I was thinking this would work for larger than the 11" vac sealer I have. But I got larger bags and will seal them that way.

silverjam

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 08:28:28 AM »
I bought mine on ebay with bags that come in rolls. Millions of options there. Look for the largest width, watts and vacuum pressure. Most of those options are not adjustable in the basic sealer, although in some, vacuum pressure is important when you need low pressure due to the delicate nature of the product. I remember vacuuming fresh ravioli pasta once for the freezer and the pasta just imploded due to the pressure. That said, pressure is not an issue for cheese unless you are dealing with a very soft delicate cheese. Do a test first or it might be crushed by the vacuum pressure. The rolls are great because you can make your own size bags. you can also make smaller bags with the heat sealer but that doesn't matter much for cheese I guess, but does go down a treat with the wife when she wants to store food in portions.

I actually have a few questions about vacuum sealers as I use it for storing some of my cheeses (mostly hard, non washed rind cheeses such as cheddar). Are there long term issues for flavour for the cheese as it is not allowed to breath? That is, no moisture escaping, possible sourness? Can the vacuum sealer replace waxing as a close alternate or is it only for final storage longevity when the cheese has finished ageing or has been cut and can't be consumed in normal time? For me, vacuum sealing is clearly beneficial in stopping things such as mould etc, but I am worried I am taking the easy way out sometimes as it is so convenient - as opposed to doing the hard yards with moisture controlled ageing under the cave-like environment.

iratherfly

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 09:16:45 PM »
You can use vacuum in lieu of waxing in my opinions.  I only use it for rindless cheeses such as dunked Tommes. Wherever you want rind and flora, I would avoid it

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 10:12:02 PM »
As far as ravioli imploding...I frequently seal up wet food and/or delicate foods like muffins. Instead of just pushing the button and letting the sealer do its thing, I watch and when most of the air is gone from the bag, I interrupt the automatic process and tell it to SEAL NOW!

It works quite well.

Also, if your sealed cheese shows liquid in the bag after some time, just open the bag dry it out and reseal either in the same or a new bag.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Tomer1

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 11:48:57 PM »
  They also have a very inexpensive handheld model.

Which one is that?  I want one for 5inch wheels and the stuff available in israel is either overly priced chinese rebranded crap which will likely brake down after a year or these italian high end stuff for vaccum cooking and cost a fortune.
At one point I even asked a lady at the dairy stand if they have a vaccum machine and can seal stuff for me,she looked it like im crazy. :)

The butcher shop (Izen) has one an charge an extra 1.5nis for a bag.
I'm gone do some vaccumed loin this weekend  ;)

iratherfly

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 05:09:04 AM »
Well Tomer, even if you buy a brand new sealer, most of them require some special bags or rolls.  If you want a portable FoodSaver I can probably sell you my brand new one (never used, still in a box) for a few dollars and bring it with me the next time I am down there. The big FoodSaver is great, I just hate how wasteful it is. They designed it so that it will leave 2" of edge whenever you seal so that you run out of their rolls/bags faster. It's also annoying because you cannot do small bags and you constantly have to cut away these loose 2" ends. Drives me nuts. But a good vacuum. For my creamery I will probably get a vacuum chamber instead.

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 02:19:04 PM »
To seal wet foods, like blanched vegetables, I partially freeze them on a cookie sheet first, then vac/seal them.

Tomer1

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 08:05:09 PM »
I have a rule about eating stuff which are only in season. (except tomatos which come from greenhouse , I love tomatos...) :)

zenith1

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 10:45:27 PM »
Steff-you can use the foodsaver and make your own  custom sizes. I have seen a member post(maybe DJDebi)that makes her own size bags
by cutting and sealing the bag material to the size she needs. I recall that it was stated that it worked well but needed a little fooling around
with the bag material.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 11:44:07 PM »
To seal wet foods, like blanched vegetables, I partially freeze them on a cookie sheet first, then vac/seal them.
Yeah, when blueberries, and then cherries, were in season this year I bought at a decent price, washed, spread them out on a cookie sheet to freeze, and then vacuum-bagged them. Hey, cherries in winter!  :D

So many good uses for the machines. I love mine...can't imagine what I ever did before. Sealing cheeses is so much easier, quicker, and less messy than waxing.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

silverjam

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 12:18:19 AM »
Would/has anyone sealed a romano or parmesan in a vacuum bag during its ageing time? That is, seal it for its entire ageing period (a year or so) I have a 2 month old romano that I am thinking of sealing in a vacuum bag as i want the space it is using with a ripening container. I know you're not supposed to seal it but I know some people wax them. I have to use these ripening containers for everything because of lack of humidity in my cave. I am worried the romano will not age properly and be like an aged cheddar at the end if I seal it up.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 05:33:23 AM »
I have a couple Beauforts vacuum-sealed and aging quietly. Their rinds were developed quite satisfactorily and I didn't figure they'd suffer for being bagged at that point. Depending on my mood, they may be opened for Christmas or sometime next summer. At this point they already have about 6 month's age on them.

That's the limit of my experience with hard cheeses that need long aging. I can't speak about Romano or Parmesan directly. I would expect it to be similar.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!