Author Topic: How to store cheese in a natural cave  (Read 2183 times)

stoneyridge

How to store cheese in a natural cave
« on: June 28, 2011, 02:38:36 PM »
Living in Kentucky, I'm surrounded by natural caves.  I'm sure it wouldn't take more than a couple of inquiries to get permission from someone in my county (possibly even my neighbor) to age my cheeses in a natural cave.  My concern are:

-  how do I prevent the wildlife from finding and enjoying the cheese?  Would I need to keep the cheese in some kind of cage?

- how do I ensure that the natural bacteria in the cave is 'good bacteria'?  Is there a way to test the micro-flora?

- any other concerns I should research before selecting a cave?

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: How to store cheese in a natural cave
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 07:33:10 PM »
I hesitated about writing anything. I had this vision of you leaving your cheese(s) in that selected cave and the smell wafting out to any critters within smelling distance. My vision included a struggle between any number of species trying to get to your precious cheese.

Oh yeah, let's not forget the little crawly critters that can't be kept out of a cage or other secured container.... :o

So, with that, don't let me dissuade you...good luck.  8)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

glasman

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 11:38:54 PM »
in my cave my concerns are mice and flys. mice are ez to keep out it's flys that will spoil your cheese. vic

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 06:16:48 AM »
in my cave my concerns are mice and flys. mice are ez to keep out it's flys that will spoil your cheese. vic
Someone else on here recently discovered maggots on the underside of their wheel. Not a pretty sight I would imagine. The recommendation was to use one of those umbrella style netting things normally used to protect food at a picnic.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Crystal

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 10:59:30 PM »
Or make a pine open box, attach wire fly mesh to outside, insert cheese. Though any hungy rat will get in... Hang it perhaps? I have considered using under my house to age mine. My house is built into a rock face so underneath is dark, damp, cold and cavelike! So is my garage... which is under the house! But pests are a concern! There is a fridge down there and without it plugged in i get temps around 15c...