Author Topic: New Cheese maker  (Read 2531 times)

Kevin_Cheese_maker

Re: New Cheese maker
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2011, 07:48:18 PM »
iratherfly,

Well...it wouldn't be very smart to come here to learn and then NOT listen to people that have made more cheese and been successful at it.  I'll make the plain as well as the pepper jack, if I don't like the plain I have family that does.  That way I can go through the aging period (1-4 months/and longer) crack the cheese at the 1 month period, see how it turns out and re-wax for a longer sharper cheese.

Thank you--- I got some thinkin and planing to do.

K

iratherfly

Re: New Cheese maker
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2011, 09:06:34 PM »
It's just a suggestion but if you don't like Jack without it, don't do it. You need to focus on cheese you love to eat!  I am just saying that doing it with peppers for the first time may require a more extensive troubleshooting if things go wrong and more steps in a cheesemaking process that you are not yet familiar with and smooth with prior to adding these extra steps.

For tasting at 1 month old, an under-aged cheese will be somewhat brittle or flaky, less elastic. It may taste quite sour.

My own idea is that plain jack can always be used for melting in sandwiches, on omelets, nachos, mac & cheese or even pasta sauce - as long as you mix it with something sharper in the sauce such  as Parmesan, Pecorino or Gorgonzola.