Author Topic: Swiss Style Cheese - Swelling But Also Sagging  (Read 1725 times)

Gustav

Swiss Style Cheese - Swelling But Also Sagging
« on: June 30, 2011, 06:16:31 AM »
This is an emmenthaler & maasdammer. I've had it at low temps for 12 days & moved over to higher temps. At the moment it's at 19'C.  The cheeses both seemed to be swellong on the top & bottom a little bit, but now it looks like it's "getting soft/melting" and thus becoming flatter & wider.

This is my 1st attempt to make these cheeses. Is it normal or not? May the problem be with the propioni cacteria? I added more than the recipe called for. I know I shouldn't have waxed the maasdammer, but I did.

Any suggestions?

dthelmers

Re: Swiss Style Cheese - Swelling But Also Sagging
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 01:46:41 PM »
I had the same thing happen with a Leerdammer and a Jarlsberg. They were saggin so much I put them in hoops to hold their shape as they aged. I thought maybe I had made them too wet.
Dave in CT

Gustav

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 02:43:57 PM »
It isn't suppose to do that is it?

dthelmers

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 06:20:24 PM »
There was nothing in the books about it. The Jarlsberg was moister than it should have been when I finished aging it, but the Leerdammer seems quite hard now, like a proper alpine. Maybe it was the propionic phase causing it. I got good eye formation. They both seemed to hold their shape after a few weeks.
Dave in CT

Gustav

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 06:22:32 AM »
This is what the cheese looks like inside. The Goua/maasdammer had a mild taste, but the jarlsberg has a bit more richer taste.