Author Topic: Rennet Tablet - How Convert To Drops?  (Read 18937 times)

bigsearock

Rennet Tablet - How Convert To Drops?
« on: June 30, 2011, 06:59:18 AM »
Hi

I want to try a chevre recipe that requires 1 drop of liquid rennet but only have rennet tablets. I think 1/2 tablet works out to 1/4 tsp liquid rennet, but what is the best way to get the equivalent of 1 drop?

4H Goat Mom

Re: Rennet Tablet - How Convert To Drops?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 07:21:45 AM »
 :) I am wondering the same thing as well. Sorry I can't help with this but would like to know as well.

iratherfly

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 06:01:09 AM »
I believe 1 tablet rennet = 1 tsp liquid rennet.

Generally speaking...
1 tsp = 64 drops
½ tsp = 32 drops
¼ tsp = 16 drops
1/8 tsp = 8 drops
1/16 tsp = 4 drops

Some droppers are designed to give you a small drop size. Double that to get a normal drip size. If you are not sure just test it in a measuring spoon and count the drops.

bigsearock

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 05:17:41 PM »
So the trick must be to take the 1/4 tablet or whatever small fraction I can get, dilute it, and then use just the right fraction of that to equal one drop.

If I figure it out and get it to work, I'll let everyone know how I did it.

bigsearock

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 10:21:01 PM »
I asked Glengarry Cheesemaking, where I bought the rennet. Their answer:

"The best approach to take is to dissolve 1/4 tablet in 1/4 cup of cold water. Then add 1/4 of the total amount of this mixture to 1 gallon of milk. Discard the balance as it will de stabilize in a brief period of time."

Can't wait to try. Now to buy the goat milk...

iratherfly

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 04:31:12 PM »
Sounds like they gave you a good answer. I personally only use tablets when I want to travel overseas to make cheese in places where I can't get liquid rennet locally and I need rennet that will survive the trip

SiletzOregonFarm

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 09:26:11 PM »
Can I assume the conversion is to be equal with Double Strength liquid rennet?
I recently purchased rennet from a different company that stated it was "Commercial Grade" and assumed it was double strength or stronger but I was wrong, it is much weaker and has been a big hassle!
Anyway, I am trying to convert some of my favorite recipes into  tablet for rennet to share with some newbies who do not wish to purchase liquid right off, so here I am!  :)