Author Topic: Starter Cultures - Direct Set vs Mother Cultures  (Read 3363 times)

Offline steffb503

• Catskill Mts, NY State, USA
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
    • M & S Farm
Starter Cultures - Direct Set vs Mother Cultures
« on: June 30, 2011, 10:33:55 AM »
So I am at the point in my endeavor where 10 dose packets of all of the various starters is very expensive. Where is the best place to buy Direct set cultures in bulk.

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Starter Cultures - Direct Set vs Mother Cultures
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 06:10:10 PM »
You need to explore Mother Cultures.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 08:03:53 PM »
I'd second Sailor's suggestion.  His method has proved a boon, to me, and on a larger scale, I think you'll realize not only a more consistent ripening, but some real cost savings.
- Paul

birdsongmilkmaid

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 10:31:07 PM »
If you want the ease of direct set cultures, you can buy larger quantities from Glengarry Cheesemaking Supply (http://www.glengarrycheesemaking.on.ca/) and Danlac Canada (http://www.danlac.com/). If you're looking for an American company, there's probably a few of them around, but I'm not the person to ask since I live in Canada.

Naomi

linuxboy

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 05:40:43 AM »
Which cultures? It really depends what you need. Also, as already said, look into using mother cultures that are primed from DVI starters for each generation.

Offline steffb503

• Old Cheese
    • M & S Farm
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 10:06:50 AM »
I have used mother cultures in the past and while they are more cost effective I have found the ease of direct set to far out weigh the price.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 02:51:43 PM »
Steff,

I use Mother Cultures every day. I don't do it for the price. I do it for the "ease" and consistency, which translates to better cheese. It is very difficult to make minor adjustments with dry culture. How do you reduce your starter 1/16 tsp??? I don't know anyone that can measure that accurately. Maybe if you were using a gram scale. OTOH, it's easy to remove 1/8 cup of MC. As a pro, I can't imagine going back to DVI.

linuxboy

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 06:31:11 AM »
Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing, Sailor and I mean starting a new generation using DVI for each batch of mother starter. We don't mean using a bulk system where you inoculate using the previous batch.

If you develop a good workflow where you include this approach of using DVI for each mother starter, it does not take very long to do. But I do understand the convenience of DVI :)

Which starters, Steff?

Offline steffb503

• Old Cheese
    • M & S Farm
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 09:48:05 AM »
Specifically MA4001, MA11-14-16, MA100,Thermo B and Thermo C