Author Topic: cams/bries - include whey while scooping curd?  (Read 1252 times)

iain

cams/bries - include whey while scooping curd?
« on: June 30, 2011, 11:00:15 AM »
Process question: when making cams and bries, do you use a closed ladle or scoop - and include the whey in the molds along with the curds - or do you use a slotted or perforated tool and let the whey pre-drain a bit before placing the curds in the molds? Why?

mtncheesemaker

Re: cams/bries - include whey while scooping curd?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 11:46:39 AM »
I use my perforated ladle to put the curds in the molds. I want the whey to drain away from the curd quickly. I usually have to wait a bit until the curds settle somewhat, before I can fit all of the curd into the molds. Also, be sure to have the molds elevated on some grids and matts so the cheeses don't sit in the draining whey.

Gustav

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 12:10:28 PM »
I guess it's personal choice. I use a ladle with holes in it, but there still gets alot of whey in the mold, but that's quickly sorted once you start turning it.

iain

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 01:06:30 PM »
Thanks. I've been trying it both ways to see if there's a difference in the end product. Well - I should say with yesterday's make I tried not pre-draining. The only difference in the make was I had to wait longer for the curds to settle down to get them all in the molds. Interested in seeing if there's any difference when ripe.

Tomer1

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 01:39:07 PM »
I use a collander to scoop curds from the "vat" ,
Agitate them a bit for the majority of "free whey" to drip and then put them into molds.