Author Topic: Short (<3 Weeks) Aged Cheese Recommendations?  (Read 4293 times)

korsul

Short (<3 Weeks) Aged Cheese Recommendations?
« on: June 30, 2011, 11:12:35 PM »
Hi. I'm just trying to find a recipe for a very shortly aged cheese; I'd like something that ages for less than or equal to 3 weeks if possible. I'm going to be moving then and the process is going to be too complicated for me to have to care for some aging cheese as well. I'm an absolute beginner. So far I've made some Feta and failed to make Mozzarella, and that's it.

dthelmers

Re: Short (<3 Weeks) Aged Cheese Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 02:19:41 AM »
First, please look at the Fresh Curd recipe at the Washington Cheese Guild site, wacheese.com. This is where I got the idea for this, so if you like it, thank Linuxboy, and if you don't, blame me.

Here's the make:
FAST RIPENING PRESSED CHEESE

4 gallons of whole milk
¼ teaspoon MM100 or Flora Danica
¼ teaspoon of Streptococcus Thermophilus
1 teaspoon of liquid calf rennet dissolved in 1/2 cup of cold filtered water
1 teaspoon of calcium chloride (if using pasteurized homogenized milk)
1/8 teaspoon of lipase (optional; it will have a sharper taste with this, but you don't need it)
2 tablespoons of kosher salt

Heat the milk to 76ºF and add MM100
Let ripen to pH 6.4, about 3 hours. It will smell buttery.
Increase temperature to 92ºF and add S. Thermophilus. Let ripen for a half hour.
Dilute the rennet and stir in for 30 seconds, about fifteen up and down strokes with a strainer.
If using the flocculation method, the multiplier is 3. Otherwise, check for a clean break at 30 minutes.
Cut the curd into 3/8” cubes and let rest for 10 minutes.
Heat to 102ºF taking 20 minutes to do it, stirring very gently at first, then more thoroughly as the curd hardens and shrinks.
Target drain is pH 6.0. If you're not using a pH meter, this is when the curd really wants to mat and feels more solid, like well cooked scrambled eggs.
Drain through cheese cloth in a colander, lifting, turning and pressing the curd to get whey to flow out.
Gather up the corners of the cheese cloth and put in a mold and press at about 2 psi (light to medium pressure) for one hour.
Take out of the mold and tear into olive sized pieces. Toss with the salt, and place back in the mold and press at about 3.5 psi (heavy) over night.
Let air dry, turning over twice a day for several days until the surface feels like a clammy handshake.
Age in the cheese cave. Tastes OK at one week, better at two, better texture at 3.

I've been eating, and my friends seem to enjoy it. Nothing to write home about, but it's a good serviceable house cheese.
Dave in CT

korsul

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 02:14:47 PM »
Is that by any chance the recipe for the cheese in that picture in the other thread? That picture is actually why I wanted to try a hard cheese; it looks delicious! Thanks for the recipe.

dthelmers

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 04:10:04 PM »
Yes, this is the recipe that made that cheese. I've used this recipe, without the lipase, for about six cheeses now, and I think it's working pretty well. This was the first one with lipase, and I like it a lot. You could go even easier on the lipase for a more subtle flavor.
Dave in CT

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Ian
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 04:34:21 PM »
Your could always try a Caerphilly, it is a harder cheese and it is ready in about 3 weeks, but you can age it longer.  There are plenty of threads in here

wasitim

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 06:03:52 PM »
I know this an old thread, but.... What RH is needed for aging this young cheese?

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 12:41:18 AM »
I have not made Dave's recipe, but have made a bunch of Caerphillies. There are a couple of pretty different recipes that go under this name; one includes a short cheddaring phase, followed by milling and salting, then pressing; the other lets the curds sit in the whey for 45 minutes, then pressed, then brined. Either recipe gives a quick-aging cheese; both are good; but they do come out with somewhat different taste. Either of these recipes is pretty forgiving when it comes to the RH - I have aged them anywhere from 50% to 70%, and they've been fine. Yes, this range is "too low" for what cheese generally needs, but I often don't bother to boost the RH in my cave for a cheese like this.

By the way, welcome to the forum!
-- Andy