Author Topic: Milk, Cow, Raw - Clabbers Naturally Overnight  (Read 1408 times)

Vaudevilleorange

Milk, Cow, Raw - Clabbers Naturally Overnight
« on: July 01, 2011, 01:38:00 AM »
Can milk yog without culturing? I got some raw few day old jersey milk from a buddy the other day and I left it out on the counter over night to ripen for making some cheese, and when I opened the jars in the morning ... 2 of the 6 were completely yoged! I tasted really sweet...not yogurty at all...and I didn't get super sick from eating it...any insight on this?

dthelmers

Re: Milk, Cow, Raw - Clabbers Naturally Overnight
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 02:22:06 AM »
Yep, good milk will do that. That's a good culture you've got in the milk. Should make great cheese!
Dave in CT

smilingcalico

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 07:13:27 AM »
Essentially those 2 became bulk starter culture. Sailor con Queso had a really good post on that.  It's quite old but showed up recently again.  Search on mother culture and it should come up in the results.

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 07:17:34 AM »
Milk curdles in the presence of bacteria as they produce byproducts that cause it to coagulate. Not even necessarily lactic bacteria, but that's quite likely.

It forms a clabber, which is a culture of bacteria with milk destabilized enough to curdle. There is no way of knowing what type of bacteria they are without testing.

That said, people have eaten clabber for many centuries without getting sick. And you can do that same if you want. You can also use this bacteria as a starter for cheese or to make more of the clabber. Yogurt is made with a very specific process, by scalding milk, and adding specific bacteria that like high heat, and then culturing at that high heat, which is about 100F.

Gustav

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 06:22:14 AM »
Yup. Raw milk naturally has bacteria in it, that's why the store baught milk is pasteurised to sanitize/get rid of the bacteria in order for it to last longer on the shelf & prevent the milk from doing that.  My sister used to leave the raw milk to coagulate naturally like that to make cottage cheese :o, but personally I'm a bit uncomfortable eating that as I don't know EXACTLY what bacteria it contains & don't want to risk getting sick. It's so easy to make yogurt & cottage cheese anyway, that I'd rather do it the right way, but that's just me. :P