Author Topic: Gorgonzola recipe  (Read 5537 times)

Tea

Re: Gorgonzola recipe
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 11:44:23 PM »
Many thanks for your reply Sailor.  I have the B culture listed below, but I am unure if it is an aromatic strain for not.  I also have flora dancia.

Type B starter is a 'mesophilic gas-producing starter' used to create cheeses with a rich, creamy flavour and texture. Type B is used in the making of Edam, Gouda, Havarti, Quarg, Cream Cheese, Sour Cream, Blue Vein Cheese,Chevre, Crottin Cheese, Gourmet Fetta, and many more!  All these recipes are available in our Home Cheesemaking Book by Neil and Carole Willman. For those technically minded people, the exact name of the bacteria are: lactococcus lactis, subspecies lactis and lactococcus lactis subspecies cremoris and lactoccocus lactis suspecies lactis biovar diacetylactis.

ALso another questions if I may, are there any pH markers that we sould be aim for?

Many thanks again.

TAMARA

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2011, 06:34:02 AM »
Hi all, Really loving the gorgonzola thread as that is my next cheese. I have 2 questions....

what is 'cheese salt'. Also, I notice that one of the posters talked about using goats milk but I always thought gorgonzola was a sheeps milk cheese... I will have to use cow as there is no sheeps milk available in Australia.

Thanks, TAMARA

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2011, 10:12:37 AM »
Hi Tamara,

Sheep milk is very high in butterfat and has a very unique flavoring.  Some of the best gorgonzola I have eaten always had a distinct buttery consistency I am sure if you used Jersey milk with a good aromatic strain, you would make great cheese.  I use goat milk, because it's what I have available.  I think the the reference to cheese salt means any of the coarse non-iodized type, here in the states they refer to it as kosher.  I would think coarse sea salt would also work.  No sheep in Australia?  I always thought that there was a great quantity of sheep there, is no one milking them?
good luck

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2011, 08:47:54 PM »
what is 'cheese salt'.
George13 responded with one answer to your cheese salt question. It can also be "pickling salt" which is a finer grind and better suited to salting curds because it dissolves quicker. All cheese salt should be non-iodized.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

TAMARA

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2011, 07:33:25 AM »
Thanks George...

Yes, plenty of sheep in Australia but they raise them for meat so they don't make it to the milking shed. There are a few people milking sheep but they are doing it for their own cheese businesses coz they couldn't get their hands on the sheeps milk any other way. There is a huge demand now for sheeps milk so perhaps one day soon..

Lucky you to have fresh goats milk... I am having to buy it from the supermarket in silly 1lt bottles...drives me crazy to have to open a dozen or more of them at a time. I am trying to find a supplier of goats milk in bulk but have only found cow and buffalo (I guess I should be pretty happy about that though).

I am going to try buffalo and cow with the gorzonzola. I will keep you in the loop.

Happy cheesemaking..

TAMARA

gemma.tyson

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2011, 09:24:31 PM »
Hello Tamara.
Fellow Australian here.  Have you tried the A2 milk?  It is beautiful for cheese making.   
If you find a supply of sheep's milk, would be interested to know.  I'm in Victoria.

Gorgonzola is sounding very interesting.  Thanks for all the info Tea.  Would love to know how it works anyone who is trying it.  Is this the one on Ricki Carroll's internet site?
Cheers Gemma