Author Topic: Butter pressing?  (Read 14173 times)

ilvalleygal

Butter pressing?
« on: July 01, 2011, 03:47:38 PM »
My Guernsey cream is making gorgeous, bright yellow butter and it breaks pretty fast now.

But I was wondering if there are any tips or techniques for pressing the water out of the butter pat?

I've been using a silicon spatula to press it back and forth and smoosh it around to get the water out but I can still see the milky water in the butter after it's been in the refrigerator.

Thanks!

mtncheesemaker

Re: Butter pressing?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 05:12:34 PM »
I just knead small balls of it in my hands with a bowl of ice water nearby to keep it cold and to rinse it. It works but I would be open to
a better method.

Gustav

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 05:17:48 PM »
I use a food processor/blender to make butter. Once it's butter, I fill it up with cold water and wash till water is clean. That way I drain all the water.

Ps. if you want it to spread better, add some canola oil and with some pasteurised milk.

MrsKK

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 12:29:18 AM »
I knead it in my hands in between rinsing it in cold water, kneading it under water a bit, too.  It isn't perfect, but gets most of the water out.  I knead the salt into it at the end, which seems to get just a bit more out.

I culture my cream with store bought buttermilk and it results in butter that is very nicely spreadable right out of the refrigerator.  Higher yield that way, too.

ilvalleygal

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 02:28:42 PM »
I'll have to try the kneading method. I just read elsewhere that smearing it around can make it greasy and that's what I was doing to get the water out.

I don't use buttermilk, but I do leave the cream sit out overnight with a handkerchief secured to the top of the jar. Then I put the lid back on and refrigerate it until I get home from work.

I had tried a blender, stick blender, mixer, etc., but found the overnight ripening works so well that all I need to do is shake it hard right in the jar for a few minutes and I have butter!

I just picked up more milk yesterday so I should have enough cream to try again with the kneading.

Crystal

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 04:12:39 AM »
I use a silicon spatula and a very big bowl so i can press the butter in the side of the bowl and tilt the other side down to drain. I love my hand mixer, i just mix till its whipped, let it sit while the mixer cools down, then go the rest of the way. I have also used an ice cream maker but still had to start with whipped cream then put it in there and voila, butter. Plus the chilled bowl helps keep the whole lot cold. and i just keep putting in water till its really clear. then press in the bowl...

Cloversmilker

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 04:58:37 AM »
I work the butter in a bowl of water with a ridged wooden butter paddle. I change the water a few times until it's fairly clear.  Then I work the salt in with the butter paddle and press into my butter mold.  Pressing the butter into the mold expels liquid.  I have 2 old butter paddles given to me by my mother; one is a hard dark wood (walnut or cherry), the other a flimsy pine paddle.  The pine paddle works much better somehow.  The ridged paddles do work better than a smooth spatula. 

Crystal

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 06:03:07 AM »
Oh, On the subject of butter molds, where should i look for one?

Cloversmilker

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 03:50:36 PM »
Lehman's has nice wooden German butter molds.  I have one round mold that holds about 1/4 pound and a little tablespoon sized plunger mold.  Soak the molds in ice water as you're making butter.  Press the butter into the mold with the paddle, then rock the butter a bit to loosen, and turn over to release the butter.  Repeat.  The instructions seem to tell you to put the butter in the mold and then chill.  That is not necessary (at least with the 1/4 pound mold), and would take an awful lot of molds when making a big batch of butter.  A little tablespoon plunger mold is very handy to have for the little bit of butter left at the end.  A little pile of pressed butter pats is very attractive on the table as well.   :D

Crystal

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 09:00:54 PM »
thanks, Im in Australia tho so anywhere online i can look?

I usually use a little mini casserole dish that is rectangular then cut the butter into triangles. I'll take a pic and post it here cos its pretty cute ;-)

Cloversmilker

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011, 02:59:42 AM »
Here's a link to Lehman's butter molds.  http://non-electric.lehmans.com/search#w=butter%20molds&asug=
My molds didn't come from Lehman's and are slightly different than those shown.  If there are any German or Polish online importers in Oz, search their listings for butter molds.  There may be something under wooden art.   ;)

Crystal

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, 08:06:48 AM »
hi,
thanks for the info! $54 though? lol, wow... on second thought my casserole is better, when its done i just put it in the dishwasher...

perhaps some more looking will turn up one here for me!

Cloversmilker

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2011, 08:25:40 PM »
In my opinion, the $54 mold is too big to be all that useful.   ;) 

Crystal

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2011, 09:26:21 PM »
oh, i have 6 kids, we use ALOT of butter and i make a lot at a time so id use the big one no problem. mostly i dont bother with a mould, just pile it onto the butter dish. But i was thinking it would be nice to have pretty butter on christmas for the family do... but they can have a pile like everyone else!

onnalee13

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 05:09:51 AM »
I see this is an older post, however I have to add my story!

I was very close with my grandparents growing up, and my grandfather told some stories of growing up on a dairy farm. After they passed I was thrilled that my mother passed down to me two very special items, an antique family bread bowl and my great grandmothers butter press. It has a pineapple on it! I used it for decor but now that my life affords I can make butter and use this press as she once did!

Just for info, it is about 3-4 inches across and maybe 3 deep!