Author Topic: Butter pressing?  (Read 14174 times)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Butter pressing?
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2012, 02:55:08 AM »
How wonderful to have received such a wonderful family treasure!

I knead butter in a ziplock bag and just change the ice water a few times.

JustPeachy

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2012, 12:07:19 AM »
Great ideas! I have seen the paddles at Lehman's and am considering the smaller German one but haven't bit the bullet and ordered it yet. Currently, I just make my butter in a mason jar and pour off the buttermilk. I fill it a few times with ice water and shake it around some. Then I pour the butter into a wire mesh strainer and toss it around like pizza dough or flipping eggs or pancakes. Seems to work pretty good so far but always looking for a better way!

TraditionalGoats

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2012, 03:33:34 AM »
I leave my cream on the counter to get to room temp, it seems to turn to butter easier that way.

If I am doing a cultured butter I will add the culture about 8-12 hours before I make the butter.

I use a Kitchen Aid mixer to do small batches (1 quart or so) and have a 2 gallon electric mixer that works well when I have enough cream, and a commercial butter mixer that I have never used.  Some day.

To get the whey out of the butter, I use a potato masher and mash the butter in a bowl, add salt, mash, pour off whey as it comes, mash more, pour off more whey, then pack it into either  a butter mold or a bowl. 

I also rinse with cold water or ice water as I am doing the mashing part.   

The Amish near me make the butter in butter balls, each is about 1/2 pound.  They just mush it together and squeeze the whey out.

I will use the whey to make soup or stock.  I use it in place of water.  Adds flavor it seems.  Other people I know will use it to boil pasta.  And of course the animals love to drink it!

Tracy

Susie

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2012, 07:39:58 PM »
Good ideas here!
I always make in my stand mixer and squeeze by hand under cold water, in the mixing bowl.
I'm envious of those of you who have molds. Curious - wouldn't a silicone baking "pan" work well as a butter mold? I have not yet invested in one but have had my eye on the mini loaf style. In the meantime, we have a beautiful "lump" in the fridge.  ;D

Butterviking

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2014, 04:41:19 PM »
Hi!
Do not wash your butter. You wash away a lot of flavour.

Peter Montague

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2015, 03:06:36 PM »
Hi!
Do not wash your butter. You wash away a lot of flavour.

What do you recommend Butterviking?

cheeseslovesu

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2015, 06:09:37 AM »
I agree with the Viking. I just use a paddle to drain out most of the buttermilk then press the butter into a dish and refrigerate. There are always traces of buttermilk in the butter and it is delicious.

Frodage

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2015, 08:02:25 PM »
Has any one tried centrifuging? I seem to recall this was a grade two experiment. After the butter dropped, we each took a turn spinning it around.