Author Topic: No taste Gouda  (Read 1220 times)

gemma.tyson

No taste Gouda
« on: July 04, 2011, 07:27:11 AM »
Have made a Gouda cheese, two weeks old now.
Followed recipe from the WIKI site/Cheese Forum (will post recipe later)
Have been struggling with mould so thought I would cut it into quarters and wax it.
Just had a taste and it tastes of nothing.  The brine appears to have had no effect on the cheese.
Brine was made up to probably more salt than was needed.
Will grate it and use it that way if I have to.  In the meantime is there anything I can do at this stage?
When I post the recipe, could someone of superior knowledge look at what I did and tell me where I went wrong.
If the cheese has failed to take in the salt and I right in assuming that this is why I am having the problems with the mould?

Cheers Gemma

Gustav

Re: No taste Gouda
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 10:53:33 AM »
There are alot of reasons why you may have mold. I personally don't think the brine has much to do with that as I understand that the salt brining is mainly to help form a stronger rind. You may have other problems such as too high humidity etc.
I don;t think you should expect much after only 2 weeks as that's waaaaaay too early. I know its hard, but its best not to cut the gouda before at least 1-3 months. The cultures need some time to actually work.
I found that by adding Helveticus helps a bit with more flavour & ripening. Did you check the temps of the cheese when making it? Did you perhaps overheat it & killed alot of the cultures?

I'd use a vinigar dipped cloth to wipe the cheese and wax it up & forget about it for a month.

gemma.tyson

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 11:19:07 AM »
Thanks Gustav.
Grated some up tonight into pasta sauce.  Will cut up into 1/4's and wax the rest.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 01:18:52 PM »
A 2 week old Gouda is worthless and tasteless. Let it go 90 days minimum and try it again. IMHO you should never cut a wheel and separate it into pieces. By making smaller chunks, you change the dynamics of aging.

gemma.tyson

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 09:18:20 PM »
"never cut a cheese into smaller pieces" - Sailor
Really thought I had lost the cheese as I was getting so much mould on it.  I suppose one would call it inexperience.
With that in mind, I will keep it in two halves, large as possible and wax those, put them away and pretend they don't exist
for another month at least.
Is the lack of development the reason for the lack of taste?

gemma.tyson

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 10:34:23 AM »
Even though I said I would wax it I didn't.  Put it back in the cheese cave in disgust and forgot about it.  Had different priorities this week.
Went to attend my cheeses today and thought I have to do something with the gouda.  Trimmed it, took a slice to taste before I went to throw it out, and hey it has changed, actually tasted good. (might be a bit of bias on my part)  Partner thought it tasted better as well.
Have waxed the pieces tonight.  (First attempt at waxing - messy) Put labels on them and have put them back in the cave, not to be touched until another two months.

MrsKK

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 01:42:29 PM »
Yes, time is key in flavor development.  There are very few cheeses that will have any flavor at only a week or two old.

I cut my three month old Gouda yesterday, kept a chunk out for current eating purposes, and vacuum sealed the rest to go back in the cave.  It is already quite tasty, but I know it will only improve over time.

smilingcalico

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 06:57:06 PM »
Most semi hard cheeses are worthless at anything less than 2 months, which is why I don't mind the 2 month minimum ageing for raw milk cheese sold.  I don't worry about mold on the outside of my gouda. That's part of the purpose of the rind in the first place, to protect the cheese inside.  Also, the exterior mold adds some of its own flavor to the cheese inside.  If your rind is not compromised, don't worry too much about it.