Author Topic: my first feta!  (Read 1853 times)

Trisha in WA

my first feta!
« on: July 04, 2011, 03:28:18 PM »
I just tasted my first feta yesterday. It is FANTASTIC! I am so pleased. I made it with cow milk and added lipase powder. Loved it! Now I am researching all the great ways I can use feta in my cooking. It was such an easy cheese to make too!
Thanks to all the posts here about drying it before putting it in the brine. I did just what you all said and it is the perfect texture. This will most certainly be a cheese that I make often.

mtncheesemaker

Re: my first feta!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 03:55:52 PM »
Congratulations on your success!

Louise

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 04:50:49 PM »
Well done - I am very envious  >:D

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 05:41:40 PM »
That is success...when you make a cheese with your own hands and talent and it actually tastes good.

Congratulations. Yeah!!  ;D

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Tomer1

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 06:08:44 PM »
I got some enzyme delivered from the US so I attemped a feta to asses its viability\damage.
I dosed according to directions at 1\8 tiny tsp per 2 gallons.

A few days after the make, the acidified whey (kept at 28-30c long after draining) brine smells amazing, sort of like goat's milk yogurt.  I would taste it but its 16% so that would just be crazy... :P

I didnt stir much so I got high moisture curds,after 12-14 hr of draining some were brined as soft feta and some were transfered to the cheese cave for 4-5 days on a mat to harden\lose moisture and then brined.

So in 30 days i'l know if its any good :)

Trisha in WA

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 06:39:02 PM »
I only aged mine for 3-4 days in the brine at room temp...after 3 days air drying. Hubby generally doesn't like real strong flavors, and he likes it at this age.

drumbeat

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 06:17:48 AM »
I will have to go hunting for this air-drying feta- I guess I missed it somewhere in my travels. But hey girl - from one Trish, Trisha, Tricia, to another WTG  ;D ;D

Trisha in WA

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 02:08:57 PM »
UPDATE:
I let my cheese age in the brine for a LONG time and it was even more FANTASTIC! I got lots of rave reviews too. Second batch is in the brine now and has been for a week. We have been using some already and it is wonderful.
I really like this cheese....it's very easy to make and is much more versatile that I ever thought it would be.