Author Topic: hi from canberra  (Read 2153 times)

narelle

hi from canberra
« on: January 14, 2009, 06:17:35 AM »
g'day im narelle

ive been checking this forum from time to time and thought i could my 2 bobs worth in ive been making cheese for about 12 months and it just gets bigger and bigger i use about 10 litres of milk at a time and all store bought there is a bit shortage of dairys in canberra so raw milk is out of the question i am just starting to venture into blue cheeses and am a bit wary as my cave is in the kitchen area and i dont think the perfume would be appreciated but we shall see i make a heap of fetta about 2kg a month as my partner has greek salad everyday for lunch and it cheeper to make it so if anyone wants a foolproof recipe ive got it just yell out i have made bries to swiss and flavoured as well chilli as well as pepper are very popular its hard to keep up ive just got a good cave for myself so winter will be cheesemaking season as well as summer down here now hope to help when i can and learn plenty ::)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Re: hi from canberra
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 09:40:06 AM »
Welcome. Yes if you have a good recipe scroll down the main menu and post it in the section for soft cheese, it will have a subtext of feta. Where are you located, i think by the greeting you're an Ozzie? We have quite a few Ozzie's here and some Kiwis. We're all one big happy cheese eating family. If you can get a hold of an old refrigerator or freezer it can be turned into a perfect cheese cave with a little work. It would cost a little bit of money if you want it perfect and virtually maintenance free as you'd need a humidifier and temp control unit. :)

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 11:39:10 AM »
Hi narelle and welcome to the forum, sounds like your are in Canberra, in State of New South Wales in SE Australia. I believe you the second on the forum from that state :).

Congrats on all the cheese making, more recipes are always good, as Carter says, there is a Brine Preserved Cheeses Board for Feta types cheeses that would be good.

bundy

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 10:25:35 PM »
Hi Narelle and wellcome,you will find plenty of ideas and help.post your feta recipe we are allways looking for new ways to make cheese.
Bunndy Nth Queensland

narelle

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 11:35:23 AM »
sorry cheese head i thought everone new where canberra was my mistake LOL i was raised in sydney NSW  and lived in brissy (brisbane) QLD for 20 odd years and found the humidity tooooo much so mooved back down south into the mountains around Oberon and then to canberra the next moove will be to just above mexico ( aussie's will know where i mean) for those who don't mexico is Victoria where the mexicans come from . by the way canberra is in the act which is a state of its own which the government created to stop the mexicans and the new south welshmen argueing over who should have the new national capital. very democratic they thought. and thats where my cheese making is going to take on a new life but i have a few years to go before i can retire. ;D

Cheese Head

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 01:39:35 PM »
narelle

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that Canberra was it's own State in Australia, good reason! For fun, I've just added Canberra (you) to our listing of Member Locations. That means we now have members in 1/2 the states of Australia, just Western Australia, Victoria, Northern Territory, and Tasmania to go . . . :).

narelle

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 04:54:23 AM »
the state is the Australian Capital Territory its a territory rather than a state and canberra is the national capital a bit like darwin in the northern territory

Cheese Head

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 04:52:59 PM »
Thanks narelle, learn something new everyday, just corrected the Member Locations Sticky Post to ACT :).

I grew up in Canada and similarly there were two Territories, Yukon and North West Territory, as NWT has now divided into two.

Likesspace

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 03:46:50 AM »
Narelle...
I recognize the name from "the other forum" (shhhhh..we won't let them know that we are traitors).
Glad you found this one.
Great group of people and great advice is found here.

Dave

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 07:31:08 AM »
Maybe you can petition to change the name of your city to Camemberra. Just tell the city cousil it's a combination of Camembert and Hanna Barberra, if they're stupid just tell them it's a comical kind of cheese.