Author Topic: PeeeeUuuuuu! Smells awful  (Read 6095 times)

darius

Re: PeeeeUuuuuu! Smells awful
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2011, 11:52:26 PM »
Funny that I was wondering if the starter could be the culprit...

JeffHamm

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2011, 12:17:10 AM »
Hi,

I tend to make ice cubes of culture.  Basically, put 1/8 or less of a teasponn of culture in skim Long life milk (Ultra pasturized stuff), and then leave it out for 24 hours at room temp for meso, and in the hot water cupboard for thermo.  It goes thick, like yogurt.  Freeze that into ice cubes.  For 10 L of milk, one or two ice cubes seems to work fine.  I've made a few cheeses with 4 ice cubes, because a lot of the recipies for 10 L say to use 4 oz of starter, and each cube is about 1 oz.  I'll need to double check my notes on which ones used the 4 cubes, but generally the 1 or 2 cubes seems to work fine as far as I can tell. 

I don't create a new batch from the last ice cube but start "fresh", which I have to do now as I think I only have one or two cubes left now.  I like this better than trying to measure out fine quantities of the culture.  The mother culture should be more consistent in strength, at least on a "per batch" basis.

- Jeff

P.S.  And, I just checked my make notes for the caerphilly that had the bitter taste to it (my 3rd one).  I had aged that out past 100 days, and it was one of the cheeses where I used 4 ice cubes of starter.  I've cut back to 1 or 2 cubes since then, so I'll be interested to see how things compare. 
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 01:24:51 AM by JeffHamm »

Offline Aris

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2011, 05:41:36 AM »
Heres a quote from Linuxboy
"BITTER CHEESE is usually (not always) caused by hydrophobic peptides.  Possible causes:
-not aged long enough, peptides have not been degraded
-residual rennet caused from too high of a pH at hoop up.  calf rennet can help with this as microbial is usually more bitter when retained.
-incorrect starter or incorrect ripening temp, producing acid too fast can promote bitter peptide formation
-pasteurized at too high of a delta T can cause bitter peptide formation
-contaminated milk (usually pseudomonas) will form bitter peptides
-milk with high plasmine will cause bitter peptides (i.e. mastitic animals)"

darius

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2011, 12:56:25 PM »
Thanks, Aris.

I had not considered the milk as a suspect. It's local P/H Jersey milk from a relatively new small dairy. I think I'll try to go see them later this week and ask about their exact pasteurizing process. Most but not all the cheese I've made came from their milk, but unfortunately I probably didn't note the milk source in all my make notes.

Last month I made 3 batches of Caerphilly using fresh goat milk, and 1 batch from a different source of bovine pasteurized 'creamline' milk. It will be interesting to see if any of those develop bitterness.