Author Topic: Blue Me Away  (Read 18960 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Blue Me Away
« on: July 05, 2011, 11:44:22 PM »
This is my second effort at making a Stilton-like cheese. My first try used a gallon of raw milk and yielded one small cheese. That cheese is just beginning to show some color.

This make uses four gallons and will give me considerably greater potential product. Two big differences:
  • raw vs. P&H
  • morge from Royal Blue Stilton vs. Penicillin Roquerforti culture
July 2:
4 gallons Darigold P&H whole milk
½ tsp Aroma B (meso)
¼ tsp P. Roquerforti
1 tsp CACL2 in distilled water
1/16 tsp dry calf rennet dissolved in cold distilled water

Calibrated ExStick to 7 & 4

Starting pH of milk = 6.83

5:40AM heated milk to 86F and stirred in cultures.
6:30AM pH 6.80
7:30AM pH 6.78 @ 86F
8:30AM pH 6.74
9:25AM pH 6.71 @ 86F
10:30AM pH 6.60 @ 86.2F
11:30AM pH 6.48 @ 86.5F . . . anyone counting hours? 6 hours!!
     stirred rennet into cold (52F) distilled water.
     added CACL2 and rennet, stirring.
11:33AM finished adding and stirring.

Flocculation occurred in 15 minutes.
Using a factor of 4, time to cut will be in 60 minutes @ 12:30PM.

12:30PM pH 6.18 @ 83.8F
     cut to 1 inch
     rested 10 minutes

12:45PM cut to pea/acorn size with whisk, stirred.
     allowed to rest.

1:50PM pH 5.88 drained whey.
2:00PM pH 5.46 tested acidity at various places in curd to reach consensus.
     placed lid on pot and allowed curds to rest, looking for a pH 4.6-4.8.

During this rest period, continued to drain whey as it accumulated.

5:30PM pH 4.72
     at 2 tsp salt per gallon, used 8 tsp salt to mix with and mill curds.
     packed lightly into two camembert molds.
     extra curds were packed into small Kadova mold creating a blue puck.

Over the next several hours, flipped all molds, placing a new, folded paper towel under the mat of the mold each time. This helped to wick away departing whey.

July 5:
5:00AM removed molds and attempted to smooth surfaces. Since the rind surfaces were already fairly smooth, I didn’t try to make them perfectly smooth.

Placed into minicave and into the cave @ 55F for blue development.

I don’t enjoy waiting the entire morning for the point at which I can add my rennet. I need to do some studying about mother cultures and pitch at a greater density. Just like back when I was brewing, the greater pitch volume…the faster fermentation begins and completes. One thing is for sure: if I had been going by time alone and didn't have a pH meter, I would have been way off out in the weeds.

Okay, PR let’s see what you can do for me.

-Boofer-
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 07:26:13 PM by Boofer »
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Blue Me Away
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 12:01:52 AM »
Wow, that was quick!

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 12:25:23 AM »
Looks great so far and I'd like to try another one sommetime.

Why didn't you try to smooth the rind more to seal it like in Stilton.org's videos?

If my memory is correct this is a two stage cheese, first develop the paste then pierce to get the blue into the hopefully voids inside.

Brie

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 03:30:16 AM »
Looking good, Boof! Stiltons are normally made in a larger mold that Cam--it helps with the longer aging period needed to develop the paste. I don't pierce Stiltons until they are at least 5 weeks old (3#). Since your's is smaller, you may want to pierce immediately. Also, get them out of the cave and allow them to breathe at room temp at least once per week--the blue needs osygen to grow. Good luck and keep us posted--you are truly a cheese maniac! :
 :D

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 01:24:36 PM »
Why didn't you try to smooth the rind more to seal it like in Stilton.org's videos?
I tried to do that with the back of a spoon, but the more I tried the more crumbling I got. I decided it would have to do for this make. Down the road I would remove the molds a day earlier and hopefully have a moister, more malleable curd.

Looking good, Boof! Stiltons are normally made in a larger mold that Cam--it helps with the longer aging period needed to develop the paste. I don't pierce Stiltons until they are at least 5 weeks old (3#). Since your's is smaller, you may want to pierce immediately. Also, get them out of the cave and allow them to breathe at room temp at least once per week--the blue needs osygen to grow. Good luck and keep us posted--you are truly a cheese maniac! :
 :D
What size mold do the other Stilton/blue cheese makers use on the forum?

I am familiar with the need to let the cheese breathe every so often, but I think I read somewhere (Francois?) that too much of that and you risk developing slipskin.

If I crack the lid inside the cave, is that effective enough? That way, the temp would be maintained and the exchange of gases could still take place.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

george

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 01:34:52 PM »
I use the small "hard cheese molds" from NE Cheesemaking.  Got that idea from reading back in the voluminous blue-related archives a while back, one of the blue gurus posted about using the same one.  So, ya know, I had to copy the guru.    ;)  Two-gallon make fills one of them to the tippy-top, with some left over to try to smoosh in after it settles some.  Works really well.

http://www.cheesemaking.com/store/p/45-Hard-Cheese-Mold-Small-1.html

Brie

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 11:46:09 PM »
I also use the 4 pound cheese mold from NE Cheesemaking--perfect for a 3 pounder!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 06:40:16 AM »
I also use the 4 pound cheese mold from NE Cheesemaking--perfect for a 3 pounder!
Yeah, I could use my Tomme mold that I use for all my 4 gallon wheels, but I wanted something smaller as a first pass so I could maybe give one or two away to my family if it turned out okay (well, better than okay.).

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 05:46:53 AM »
I decided to do the first piercing yesterday. I used a small 6 inch analog thermometer. I dosed it with Star-San before I began. When I finished, there was some cheese residue on the probe and that tasted pretty good already. Here's hoping. Another three weeks and I'll redo the piercing.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

george

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 10:33:55 AM »
I tried to do that with the back of a spoon, but the more I tried the more crumbling I got. I decided it would have to do for this make. Down the road I would remove the molds a day earlier and hopefully have a moister, more malleable curd.

I found it's easier (for me at least) to do with a straight-edge knife - also covers more surface area than a simple spoon so you're done quicker.   :)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 02:54:27 AM »
Thanks for that tip. If I recall, that's what the smoothers in the Stilton video did too.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Brie

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 12:47:44 AM »
That Stilton is looking very good, Boof. Within another month there will a mosaic of colors on that rind. I so enjoy watching this cheese age--it's amazing! Keep us posted!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 12:08:04 AM »
Thanks, Brie. I'm very curious and excited about the changes I've seen so far in my first blues. With this and the Reblochons I'm currently doing, there's a whole new level of culture-al changes I'm seeing over all the hard cheeses I was doing. Pretty neat.

In the photos I snapped yesterday, I tried to capture the soft white bloom that overgrew the initial blue. Unfortunately, it seems to get lost in translation when digitized from a 3-dimensional world to a 2-dimensional one. Besides flipping them every other day and maintaining temp/humidity, should I be doing anything else in their care and feeding?

Another three weeks and they'll get pierced again, and one more final time two weeks after that.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2011, 07:01:55 AM »
Very strange what's happening with the puck as compared to the two tall boys. I think there's less moisture in the puck. No white bloom yet.

-Boofer-

Let's ferment something!

Brie

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 02:14:45 AM »
I believe the "puck" is aging faster due to the fact that it is smaller. Should have no effect, other than aging faster. So many different molds that circumferance this cheese--the white is the least of your worries. Suggest to punch it now and let that beautiful blue get inside the cheese.