Author Topic: Problems with Cabra al Vino  (Read 3472 times)

stoneyridge

Problems with Cabra al Vino
« on: July 06, 2011, 03:32:47 PM »
I need some advice on this cheese.  I've made 2 Cabra al Vinos now, 3 gallons of raw goat milk each.  I used the 200 cheeses recipe for the first make, and the recipe on this site for the second.  I got the same results both times - the curd seems harder than it should be after the 1 hour of setting up, the curds do not mat well at draining the whey, and then do not knit together well with pressing.  On both makes, I ended up soaking the wheel in very warm water for about 5 minutes after the initial 12 hour press and this helped with getting the curds to knit together.  They seem like they will end up decent cheeses (the second is still soaking in wine), but you can make out the curd pattern on the cheese.

What am I doing wrong?  Too much rennet?  I'm using single-strength veal rennet.  Should I try not letting the rennet set for so long before cutting?  Could it be the milk?  My goats average about 4% butterfat.  The milk was never more than 12 hours old (I don't have enough goats yet to do a full batch with one milking).  Something else?  This one has me puzzled!

On a brighter note, I cut into my first aged cheese of the season this weekend.  It was a Colby, aged just 6 weeks.  The taste was wonderful - mild Cheddar flavor.  A bit drier and more crumbly than it should be, but still a soft, smooth texture.  Yeah!

D

zenith1

Re: Problems with Cabra al Vino
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 06:44:46 PM »
Hi Stoney- too many variables to guess. If you post your noted on the make I'm sure that you will get some specific help. We need to know things like temperatures, times, amounts, types of cultures and rennet used what was the procedure for the pressing, weight Etc. All these things are related and need to be dissected to come up with some suggestions for you.

Gustav

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 07:00:12 PM »
I agree with Zen, it's best if you post the steps you took.
Usually the curds give problems if it wasn't cut into the right size. And then if the curds get too cold they tend not to knit well. The pressing should take place asap.
As for the rennet, how much did you use? I don't think that will be the problem.

stoneyridge

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 03:15:23 PM »
Hi Stoney- too many variables to guess. If you post your noted on the make I'm sure that you will get some specific help. We need to know things like temperatures, times, amounts, types of cultures and rennet used what was the procedure for the pressing, weight Etc. All these things are related and need to be dissected to come up with some suggestions for you.

I don't actually take notes while making the cheese - probably should.  I'm more focused on using up the milk and making 'functional' cheese at this point, and don't have much in the way of specialized equipment.  I mostly just follow the recipe and hope it works!  I'll try to write up what I did (changes in 2nd make noted in parentheses):

1st make - 3.5 gallons of raw goat milk (2.75 gallons) heated to 90 degrees
added 1/4 tsp Flora Danica (MM100) - ripen for 15 minutes (10 minutes)
Added 1/2 tsp calcium chloride, diluted
added 1/2 tsp single-strenght veal rennet, diluted - let set for 1 hour
noted curds were quite firm (cracked some) - cut curds into 1/2-inch cubes, let set for 5 minutes to firm up
stirred for 10 minutes, let settle for 5 minutes
dipped off approx. 1/3 of whey, replaced with very warm water to raise temp to 93 degrees (I think I went a bit over 93 on both makes)
stirred for 10 minutes, let settle for 5 minutes (skipped this step)
dipped off approx. 1/3 of whey, replaced with very warm water to raise temp to 100 degrees (I went a bit over 100 on both makes, then added cool water to reach 100 degrees - not adding more than original amount of fluid)
stirred for 10 minutes, covered and held for 45 minutes (skipped this step)
drained whey thru colander, noted curds were not well matted, returned to pot and put pot in sink of very warm water to help mat curds for 10 minutes
milled curds into 1/4-inch cubes - some were still not matted together - mixed in 2 tbsp. salt, and filled cloth-lined mold
pressed at medium pressure for 20 minutes (don't have an exact weight here - I actually use a strap to create the pressure)
re-dressed and pressed for 12 hours - noted curds were still not knitted well
placed wheel in very warm water for 10 minutes (5 minutes)
re-dressed and pressed for 12 hours
at this point, the curds were knit, but there were/are lots of lines along the rind.

The first make actually came out better than the 2nd.  Any ideas?  I'm afraid this cheese is going to end up too hard, and I'm going to have problems with mold along all the cracks.  I'd really like to figure this one out!

D

knipknup

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 09:28:21 PM »
Hi,  I'm making one of these following the 200 easy recipe today.  I'll let you know how it goes.  I am curious if your fear of mold in the cracks happened?  I wouldn't expect that unless you didn't have sanitary practices.  When all things are sanitized, it shouldn't be a concern, unless you have a source of mold somewhere like, in your cave.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 03:03:35 AM »
Hi,  I'm making one of these following the 200 easy recipe today.  I'll let you know how it goes.  I am curious if your fear of mold in the cracks happened?  I wouldn't expect that unless you didn't have sanitary practices.  When all things are sanitized, it shouldn't be a concern, unless you have a source of mold somewhere like, in your cave.
You may not realize that this thread is over a year old and stoneyridge hasn't been on since April. You may want to open your own thread which would make your topic more current.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.