Author Topic: Some camembert pics  (Read 6133 times)

Gustav

Some camembert pics
« on: July 06, 2011, 03:45:39 PM »
Hi!

Just some pics of my cams. I gor this from 16 Litres of milk & 2 litres of cream, Hope it's gonna be creamy!  ;D

Will post newer pics as the process goes on...

Tea

Re: Some camembert pics
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 09:18:07 PM »
Congrats, they certainly look great at the moment.  I currently have two large wheels of ash triple brie just waiting to grow their mold in my cave, so interested in seeing how your's go.
Good luck.

Brie

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 03:32:15 AM »
Looks good so far, congrats! Tea--would love to see your ash bries as they age--I use ash often.

Gustav

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 05:40:32 AM »
Will post pics as the mold grows untill it's ripe.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 01:57:41 PM »
They look great. Please continue to post pics as the process continues. Good learning tool for the rest of us newbies.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Gustav

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 03:19:39 PM »
Ok, the following is totally experimental. The previous time I made cams, I only used penicilium candidun, no geotrichum . The cheese was salted only on the top & bottom, & I found that the mold started growing 1st & dense/uniforn on the sides( I recon it's because the sides were softer than the salted top & bottom & were more poriees, so the mold inside the cheese could reach the outside more easily, but that's only my theory  ::) ) The end result was a very poor spread mold like the posted pic. So this time I added enough geotrichum & today I poked tiny 2mm deep holes on the top & bottom of the cheese. I hope this will assist the mold to penetrate to the surface.

Tea

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 09:12:54 PM »
Cam/brie mold is a surface mould.  If you where making a blue I could understand why you "poked" the cheese, but not sure I understand why with the cam.  Is there a new method or reasoning that I am not aware of?

I am in the process of ripening a blue/white.  The blue spores were added with the milk.  The cheese brined and poked to allow air for the blue to grow.  Then the white spore were sprayed on just before they went into the cave.

Gustav

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 10:16:20 PM »
Tea, I didn't poke it all the way through, only 2 milimetres, that's barely through the rind.
The reason I did that is to see if it assists the mold in penetrating through the rind(if the rind is too hard) from the inside.
I saw with my previous cams that the mold grew excellent on the sides, but had some trouble on top and bottom, that's why I poked them.
It's all experimental for me. The last thing I want inside my cams is the mold.

Gustav

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 10:18:45 PM »
This is what I was talking about. Lol

Tea

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 08:41:09 PM »
So how is the mould growth going?  In my post "Brie pic for Brie" there is a pic of my triple cream brie, which seems to be very close to your recipe, only I used 14ltr to 1.8ltr cream.  Love ash brie, so I am trying to perfect that at the moment.  ANyway, the pic shows day three of the mould growth on these.

Gustav

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 04:00:34 PM »
If you look carefully one can see the mold starting, but I dont think it will show on the camera. Ill post a pic end this week.

Gustav

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 11:43:12 AM »
As promised, here are some follow up's. They are about 4 days into molding now.
I don't know if it's because I added geortichum or because I poked tiny holes in it, but the mold looks alot more uniform thistime. LOL

JeffHamm

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 06:50:05 PM »
They look fantastic!  Well done.

- Jeff

Tea

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 07:43:34 PM »
Yes you look to have a much better grow this time round.  Congrats.

Gustav

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 07:20:28 AM »
Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!!!  ;D