Author Topic: Some camembert pics  (Read 6134 times)

Gustav

Re: Some camembert pics
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2011, 04:49:06 AM »
Hi!

I made one big wheel that was about 3-4Kg  , & then 3 smaller wheels that's about 800g-1Kg.

Unfortunately I cut into the big one before knowing that's wrong, but that's a learning experience. I am curious to see what the en result will be though.
In the future, I think I'd rather make a couple of the smaller wheels than the big ones. I sell my cheese, so I guess it's mote practical to make smaller wheels that can be wrapped nicely and sold as such.

I am curious though, here in the shops Simonsberg sells brie cheese in triangles of about 300g. It has mold growth all around it. If the cheesa doesn't continue moldinh after it's cut, did they use triangular moulds then?
I'm thinking that when the cheese/curds needs to be turned over and over, the triangle's tip will propably break off.

I am busy making a 200L cheesevat from foodgrade stainless steel, as where I can only make 35L now at once. I think I'm gonna use the offcuts to make some interesting cheese moulds.

Gustav

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2011, 08:15:06 AM »
That's interresting.....

I seem to be gietting some mold growth on the cut sides of the sliced cams.
Think I'll give it a week or so before I take a pic & post it.

Gustav

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2011, 03:26:43 PM »
As I said before, here are some pics of the sliced side developing mold after about 4 days from when it was cut.

Can someone plz explain this to me as apparently it's not suppose to happen?  :o

Gustav

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2011, 04:49:09 AM »
Anyone?

JeffHamm

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2011, 05:33:45 AM »
Anyone?  Beuller? ...

I've only made cam once or twice, so this is just guess work.  But, with that in mind, perhaps if the cheese is cut earlier, when the paste is still quite solid, the mold will travel.  Once it starts to liquify, however, cutting it may interrupt the process (perhaps exposure to the air interrupts the bio-chemical processes that are at work?  But I won't hazard a guess as there are those who would have an informed answer rather than a rational guess).

- Jeff

P.S. Actually, there's only one rational explanation.  Aliens!

gemma.tyson

« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2011, 08:43:49 AM »
lol.  Definitely aliens Jeff.  They've been at work in my kitchen as well.
Sounds like a reasonable explanation though.

Moredsir

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2011, 10:54:27 AM »
I've bought commercial cam, cut by manufacturer (and then recut by me), then left for a few weeks unintentionally and it developed as far as I can tell was Pen.C. mould on the cut sides in a 4C fridge, so it's not unexpected to me.