Author Topic: Creamy texture and funny after taste  (Read 1080 times)

Mersunwea

Creamy texture and funny after taste
« on: July 06, 2011, 04:44:42 PM »
Hi,
I have been out of the forum for a few months. I have been making cheese now for a year and a half. My fresh and semi cheeses are doing well. Specially goat cheeses.
But I do not like my hard cheeses. They come out with the same creamy texture (solid but creamy). All of them. Doesn´t matter if is a Tomme, or a Cheddar, or Gouda. And they have have a moldy after taste. I feel the result is always the same, doesn´t matter the recipe.
I mostly use the Ricky Carroll, Cheeseforum recipes. I just both the 200 Easy Cheese recipes book, as I saw it mentioned often in the forum.
Quite disappointed with myself. I am not sure if is the press, the aging system or what.
Any recommendations?
Thanks a bunch

susanky

Re: Creamy texture and funny after taste
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 04:55:24 PM »
What kind of milk are you using?  Raw?  Pasturized?  Homogonized?  If raw do you know the source?
Susan

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Creamy texture and funny after taste
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 05:40:57 PM »
We need details of your (cheddar?) make to be able to help you out. However, from what you describe, it sounds like your cheeses are not developing enough acidity. Cheddar for example should be around 5.4 pH at salting and hooping. If it's way higher than this, say 6.1, you will get a softer, more elastic body that is a completely different cheese. Less acidity also mean fewer bacteria which will also change the flavor and texture. Acidity problems can be your starter type or amount. It could be your temps or timing. Or lots of other things.

I have a Gloucester (cheddar) going right now. According to the time in the recipe, it is ready to salt and hoop. However, I am completely ignoring the time and waiting for the pH to drop a little more. I'm going to salt this one at a pH of 5.8 because I want it more elastic than some of my other cheddars. Recipes are a starting point, not an absolute.