Author Topic: NY Yancey's Fancy's Bergenost Brand Cheese Making Recipe  (Read 2645 times)

DeepSix

NY Yancey's Fancy's Bergenost Brand Cheese Making Recipe
« on: July 08, 2011, 12:48:28 AM »
I posted something similar to this a while back and didn't get a response so I though I would try again and maybe explain myself better.

I'm not a cheese expert so I don't know how to compare cheese qualities very well.  I've been buying and trying a lot of cheese lately to try to get a better handle on it.  I'm getting them from everywhere ranging from Saturday Markets to Costco...  I understand if this is not the place to espouse one's love for a national brand but I need some help.

I tried a cheese from a company called Yancey's Fancy called Bergenost.  I don't think it is the most amazing thing ever, but I love the consistency and basic flavor.  It is a little bit sharp and has a soft, almost spreadable texture.  I have looked around and cannot find any information on this as a type of cheese so I have two questions:

1) Is this an actual type of cheese or something the company made up?

2) Does anyone have a recipe suggestion to product something similar?

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks,

Jason

Cheese Head

Re: NY Yancey's Fancy's Bergenost Brand Cheese Making Recipe
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 01:46:01 AM »
Hi DeepSix/Jason

I searched on internet and see that Yancey's Fancy is a Corfu, New York State, USA based artisan cheese maker and that Bergenost is one of their products.

QUESTION 1
I could find no other reference to that named cheese so assume it is their own brand name, Wikipedia says the same.

QUESTION 2
Yancey's Fancy website has no info on their Bergenost other than the package labelling, image attached below. The label says it's "A Buttery Triple Cream Norwegian Style Cheese" whose listed ingredients are "pasteurized milk, cream, cultures, salt, and enzymes". Personally I've never seen or heard of this cheese, so sorry, can't help on knowing a similar type of cheese. Hope this info helps others.

DeepSix

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 04:15:22 PM »
Thank you, that is the information I was able to find online.  I was just wandering if someone had tried it and had any recommendations on how to achieve a similar consistency and mouth feel.

Thanks,

Jason

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 04:24:36 PM »
FDM 60% or so, make it with bulk cottage cheese or sour cream culture (multi species undefined strain, both D and L isomers of lactate). Make it like a butterkase (look up the recipe). Age 45-50F, rindless.

zenith1

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 05:40:23 PM »
LB- the amount of knowledge that you have that you can bring forth at the drop of a cheese hoop amazes me at times.

DeepSix

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 09:58:57 PM »
Consider my mind blown!  Thank you so much linuxboy, that is exactly what I needed.

It wouldn't be such a big deal but this is my Dad's favorite cheese and I want to make him something he will love.

Jason