Author Topic: Ash brie pic for Brie  (Read 6258 times)

Brie

Re: Ash brie pic for Brie
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2011, 12:38:23 AM »
It's definitely all about experimentation, so whatever whey  O0 you go, you will learn and build your repertoire of favorite and distinct cheese. This one looks great, Congrats!

Tea

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2011, 09:09:54 PM »
I made the blue white again yesterday, and I have two large wheels.  So I have decided to pierce one then do the hot water bath.  The other I am going to hot water bath first, then pierce on the 3rd, 5th, and 7th day, and see what difference that make to the growth of the internal blue.

My reason is because I have noticed that when I hot bath the pierced cheeses, the hot water will go completely through the cheese.  Now the reason for the hot water bath is to kill off the exterior blue mould, to that there is only white on the outside and blue in the middle.  But I am wondering if the bath is also killing off any interior mold as well.  so thought I would experiement and see what the difference is.

Doing the brine bath this morning, so will keep you informed.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2011, 02:22:39 PM »
I too am curious about that hot water wash technique. My first efforts at blues show me a really bumpy, lumpy, craggy rind and I'd like to see what the same cheese with a smooth exterior would be like.

What temperature is the hot water and what exactly is the process? You mentioned that the first cheese dipped was fairly ideal, but then the blue on subsequent cheeses dipped wasn't effectively stopped. Also, the hot water found its way into the inner paste via the piercings. That makes sense.

Seems like there are other methods for producing a smooth, non-blued rind on a blue cheese. I can't recall where I saw them though. Anyone?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Tea

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2011, 10:57:36 PM »
Here is what the recipe calls for.  After drying at room temp over night, pierce the cheese every 1.5cm, then immerse in water 90-95c for 5 seconds.  Spray with a white mold supension and ripen at 12-14c for 2 weeks then wrap in foil and maintain at 7-8c for 4 weeks.

So my experiement is one will be immerced, sprayed then pierced 3 times at intervals, the other pierced immersed then sprayed.

HTH's

Tea

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2011, 01:58:06 AM »
Seems like there are other methods for producing a smooth, non-blued rind on a blue cheese. I can't recall where I saw them though. Anyone?

The hot water bath is not to smooth the surface, it is to kill off any exterior blue mould, before spraying on the white mold.  So the end result is white on the outside and blue on the inside.The surface of this cheese is smooth like a cam or brie, so it doesn't need to be smoothed.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2011, 06:16:00 AM »
The hot water bath is not to smooth the surface, it is to kill off any exterior blue mould, before spraying on the white mold.  So the end result is white on the outside and blue on the inside.The surface of this cheese is smooth like a cam or brie, so it doesn't need to be smoothed.
Got it. Thanks, Tea. That's pretty much for a brie, but I wonder how well that would work for a regular blue or Stilton cheese. They are a lot more fragile and I'd probably end up with lumpy milk soup.

There has to be a safe way to achieve a white rind blue cheese.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Tea

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2011, 09:41:03 PM »
I put the cheese back into the mould before the hot wash.  It is much easier to handle.  I'm not sure how a stilton would go, but I wonder if putting the cheese still in the mold back into the fridge to cool and set a little before unmolding and aging would go.  I know that I leave my triple brie in the mold until I put them in the fridge.  Once they are cool and "set" a little, them I take the molds off.

Just a thought.

Tea

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2011, 09:10:35 PM »
Well these cheeses are developing well.  They are both growing a good covering of white mould, and it looks like I can see a faint growth of blue under the surface.  The one I was going to pierce three times I have decided to leave at twice, as the holes are not closing up, so don't see the reason to pierce for a third time.
Will wrap these later in the week, before leaving to age.

Tea

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2011, 08:41:33 PM »
Update on the ash brie.  In another thread LB advised that for a triple cream brie, it should ripen for 10 weeks, so I decided that I would do that.  Decided to cut one and while I was really happy with the development of the paste, I was disappointed to find that the exterior rind had dried out to around a depth of 1/4 inch into the cheese?  I used the correct perforated papers for wrapping, so obviously they have allowed for too much moisture to be transfered.  So when ripening for this length of time are there other methods/ways to wrap them so they don't dry out.

Pics don't show it well, but the outside rind is hard and brittle.  The center is lovely and soft and creamy, and I am happy with the flavour of the cheese, just the rind is a disappointment.  Had a feel of the remaining wheel, and it seems to be the same.  The edge seems hard, and the center feels just a little softer.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2011, 12:10:51 PM »
Oooh, that looks tasty, Tea!

Sorry about the rind. I'm seeing that type of result in some of my cheeses: tough rind, creamy paste.

I'm curious about preserving a softer, moister (edible?) rind as well.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Oberhasli

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2011, 04:48:38 PM »
That looks really good.  What kind of wrapping papers did you use?  I had read on one of the forum threads about the white paper pulling too much moisture out.  I use the cellophane ones sometimes.  My last Cambozolas I didn't wrap at all.  Also, I notice when I use ash that it tends to dry it out more.  I'm still trying to perfect using the ash with some of my cheeses, and it does seem to change the ripening.

But, that said, your cheese looks really yummy.  Beautiful color on the interior.

Bonnie

Tea

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2011, 08:33:36 PM »
The papers I used were the perforated white paper cheese wraps supposedly made for these cheeses.  I am wondering though if I used plastic wrap whether it would keep in any ammonia gasses/smells.  I have been wondering whether I should try foil, as I wrap my blues in in and they aren't dried out on the edges.

Oberhasli

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2011, 10:03:18 PM »
I almost ordered the white paper wraps this time around, but I decided to stick with the cellophane breathable ones.  I use them on my cam's and they don't keep in any ammonia smells.  I've never been able to find the foil ones.

Bonnie

Necol

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2011, 10:48:28 PM »
Hi tea!
Your cheese looks great! I was soooo happy to find your posts, because I have also been trying to make an ash covered blue brie. If you are using the hot water bath for this cheese, at what moment are you adding the ash?
Thanks!

iratherfly

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2011, 02:13:25 AM »
Hot water bath????

Tea, gorgeous brie. Love that yellow summer milk.