Author Topic: Second butterkase  (Read 8322 times)

Jaspar

Re: Second butterkase
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2011, 03:11:34 PM »
Sweet little fresh cheese!!!! Congratulations!!
                            Jaspar and Family

darius

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2011, 08:13:40 PM »
WooHoo!!!! Congratulations, Jeff and Family!

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Ian
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2011, 10:00:12 PM »
congratulations Jeff, to you and your family

mrsick44

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2011, 06:39:31 AM »
Congrats to you and your family Jeff. Clearly, one of your finest makes to date!

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2011, 06:45:20 AM »
Congratulations Jeff and the mum.  ;D  ;D

JeffHamm

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2011, 07:02:35 AM »
Thanks everyone!  Mum and Gregor are both doing great.  His big sister is having a ball helping too.  Fun times.

- Jeff

MrsKK

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2011, 02:56:59 PM »
Thanks for sharing with us!  Huge congratulations on the new arrival.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2011, 12:34:00 AM »
Butterkase is a kind of creamy soft buttery tasting cheese and it doesn't have a rind any more than a mozzarella would. More of a skinthan a rind. The texture on your tongue is similar to that of a young colby and melts within a few seconds after biting. Mildly flavored but really good in a mac and cheese or even on a veggie pizza. I love it with broccolli or califlower.

gemma.tyson

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2011, 12:00:58 PM »
Hi Jeff.
Have been busy past few weeks and only just caught up with the arrival of your beautiful son.  He looks absolutely wonderful.  Congratulations to you, your wife and daughter on such a beautiful edition.  You'll have to get him used to cheese very quickly  :D.  Now you'll be able to make camembert cheese again for your wife.

JeffHamm

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2011, 09:37:05 PM »
Thanks gemma!  Yes, looking forward to making a few mold ripened cheeses.  Probably will make one or two more hard cheeses, then will try something soft.

- Jeff

JeffHamm

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2011, 05:51:28 AM »
Hi,

Ok, this has now reached 61 days.  And, being Thursday, that's a good reason to taste it in my books.  :)  Anyway, the internal knit on this one is the best yet.  It's on par with the Dunlop, but that was a thin disk shape while this one is much talller.  I've generally found my cheeses in this size and shape have quite a few mechanical holes, but this one has come together very well.  I put this down to Sailor's tip of pressing in the pot.

Anyway, the rind on this one has developed very few unsightly black spots, which I'm pleased about.  The general look of the rind has been very good, clean but with geo dusting the surface and the occasional blue spot requireing a brushing back.  Again, this is similar to the Dunlop, so I think I'm getting my humidity levels about right in my cave and my caring for the cheeses must be improving.  Nice, even if I'm not quite sure what I'm doing differently.  Ahhh, nothing like implicit learning!

Well, I'll report a tasting result once it's warmed up a little bit more.  Till then.

- Jeff

JeffHamm

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2011, 06:24:14 AM »
YES!!!!! This one has turned out as a nice mild cheese, but with definate cheese flavour, with a very good solid and creamy paste.  This is what I expected it to taste like, so I think I've nailed it on the taste and texture dimentions (well, nailed for me, I'm sure others could do far better).  Anyway, I'm very pleased with how this has turned out (as may be apparent). I'm pretty sure this would age well for a bit too.

Now, can I do it again?

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2011, 05:19:54 PM »
Looks great, Jeff. Congrats!

Now...what's next?  :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Hande

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 27
  • Default personal text
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2011, 06:36:46 PM »
Jeff, you are master of Butterkase, that look great  ;D

Hande

JeffHamm

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2011, 08:21:46 PM »
Thanks Boofer!  Not sure what's next.  I might make another one of these, as it would be ready for when my parents arrive to see Gregor.  I've got room in my cave for two more cheeses.  So that could be one of them.  After that, hmmm, not sure.  Maybe a larger cam or something soft?

And thanks Hande!  Master is a overly generous, but I'm very pleased with the results.  Mastering it, if even possible really, would mean I could do it again just the same.  That remains to be seen!  My first attempt at Butterkase came out very sharp and tangy.  It was a tasty cheese, and some of my "tasters" still say it was their favorite, but it wasn't what I was going for.  This time, however, it's come out the way I was expecting it to.  So that is very pleasing.  In fact, this is the first washed curd cheese that I've made that has come out without an acidic tang to it.  Even my gouda's tended to be a bit sharper than they should have been.  I don't think I was removing enough whey during the washing.

Anyway, I'm very pleased with this.  The only change I would make to the make notes would be to add the CaCl just before adding the rennet, rather than with the cultures.  I've read somewhere (either here or in 200 Easy Homemade Cheese Recipes) that it works better that way; so the calcium must be taken up by some reaction if it sits around in the warm milk, making it unavailable to assist in curd formation - but I'm still not familiar enough with the process at that level to know for sure.

- Jeff