Author Topic: Second butterkase  (Read 8320 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Second butterkase
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2011, 01:02:22 AM »
The only change I would make to the make notes would be to add the CaCl just before adding the rennet, rather than with the cultures.  I've read somewhere (either here or in 200 Easy Homemade Cheese Recipes) that it works better that way; so the calcium must be taken up by some reaction if it sits around in the warm milk, making it unavailable to assist in curd formation - but I'm still not familiar enough with the process at that level to know for sure.
I'm not entirely sure either, but sometime in the past I began to add the CACL just before the rennet. Seems to work out fine that way. Good curd formation, even with my local P&H milk.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

JeffHamm

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2011, 04:14:37 AM »
Hi Boofer,

Yah, my last make (a caerphilly) I added the CaCl just before the rennet and got a very good curd as well (and I've been using store bought P/H as well). 

- Jeff

JeffHamm

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2011, 07:33:55 PM »
Hi Boofer,

I decided to make Lancashire again.  I'm using buttermilk as my starter this time, which is what MrsKK uses, rather than flora danica.  I want to see if there is much of a noticable taste difference.  Of course, since my first one is long gone, the comparison will be hard to make.  Hmmm, there is a flaw in my cunning plan .... :)

- Jeff

MrsKK

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2011, 02:19:27 PM »
Jeff, you are inspiring me to try Butterkase the next time I want to delve into a new type of cheese.

Please let us know if you notice any difference in the flavor, etc, in your Lancashire with the buttermilk vs flora danica. 

JeffHamm

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2011, 05:39:46 PM »
Hi MrsKK,

I've started a thread on the Lancashire, and the make went really well.  I may wait to sample this around late November, when my parents come to visit, but it is my intention to use this as a taste comparison. I'll definately report on it there.  FD is supposed to add buttery flavours, and I do know that some of my cheeses have a definate buttery finish (the Dunlop, for example, is very strongly buttery on the finish).

Anyway, this butterkase make has gone very well.  I would shift the addition of the CaCL to just before renniting as this is supposed to improve the curd over adding it with the culture.  Also, when adding the hot water to raise the temperature, this should be done slowly, over 10-15 minutes.  I think I left out the time in the notes.  It's a fairly straight forward washed curd type cheese, like gouda, so nothing overly tricky.  That being said, a number of us have made this and the curd has often been very soft, and wet, retaining a lot of whey.  This leads to a very sharp taste. 

Let me know if you make it and how it turns out for you.

- Jeff

MrsKK

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2011, 02:00:52 AM »
Will do, though I probably won't delve into anything new until at least December.  I've got seven cheesemaking classes scheduled between now and Thanksgiving, so life is very full.

JeffHamm

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2011, 08:38:55 PM »
Hi,

Having now sampled this one a few times, and currently enjoying a small piece at work, I would say this one is very similar to a young gouda.   Similar texture and flavour profile.  I might make one and wax it then see how it ages, but it is quite nice at 2 months and I would expect it to continue to improve up to 3 months at least. 

- Jeff

JeffHamm

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2011, 07:29:45 PM »
A final report on this one.  There's only one tiny wedge left, which will probably be eaten tonight after supper.  My daughter really likes this one, and has even asked for some of it!  I'm very pleased with that as this, and the dunlop, have been the only two cheeses of mine that she'll eat.

The flavour has really continued to improve quite a bit since I first cut into it.  I'm not sure if that's just the added time or if exposing the interior to oxygen helps improve the flavour.  In either case, this one has taken on some very nice characteristics.  Like the Dunlop, this one is developing a very strong buttery finish (must be the FD), that has a nice smooth lasting glide to it (sorry, that's the ony way I can think to try and describe it).  The texture is really good, with good creamy feel to it.  There's still the melting issue to sort out, but until I get a ph meter, that might be a bit hit and miss for me.  Still, this one has worked well for me this time.  Definately will be trying to replicate it.  Might age the next one 3 or 4 months, to see if the more pronounced and clear flavour can be obtained from the first cutting.

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2011, 05:55:59 AM »
Thanks for the running commentary on this cheese's progress. Also, good to know you have a market for some of your cheese in your family.  :)

Sad to see the end to that last morsel of a fine make....  :(

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

JeffHamm

« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2011, 06:59:37 PM »
Thanks Boofer.  It is nice to find things that you can share with others.  Both my wife and daughter liked this one, so I'll make another this weekend and see if I can repeat it.  I decided that it was too soon to be over this one, so the last wedge was split in half yesterday and there's a final taste for tonight.  Then, it's into the caerphilly, which is approching 4 weeks.

- Jeff