Author Topic: Curds Spongey, Impossible To Press - Cheese Cloth Cleaning > Root Causes Discussion  (Read 9033 times)

Sailor Con Queso

"Immediately" would confirm my suspicions of a coliform. You got contamination in there somewhere, so I would treat this as an opportunity to evaluate your milking, cooling, transport procedures. It often helps to have someone observe to spot things that you might be doing.

cheeseymama

I've have a similar problem on and off over the years. We milk 4 cows and several goats everyday. All my cheeses are raw milk cheeses. I never have this problem in the winter time, only in summer, when it gets dry and dusty here in California. I think it my problem is yeast, at least in my case, the curd comes out spongy, full of small holes, pig food, in other words. I now have come to associate this curd problem with dust in the milk parlor. I milk with a milking machine, an old fashioned one with a bucket and milk claw. I clean  and sterilize it after each milking, and I used to think that was enough...but then I started getting these stuborn yeasts! Very frustrating. I tried bleaching everything, spraying down my humble milk parlor with bleach spray, scouring everything comming into contact with my milk, I used really hot water, soaps and sanitizers, that helped of course, but did not entirely eliminate the problem. After struggling with this problem off and on for a couple of years, I finally figured that airborn yeast must be contaminating my milk. I finnaly realized it must be traveling up into the teat cups of my machine on airborn "dust" particles, while my cleaned milking machine just sat there in between milkings...  so I started putting a big black plastic bag over the milking unit after cleaning it... and guess what... I've had no more problems with spongy curd (knock on wood) ever since I started doing that! Such a simple solution that really worked for me.

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
Hi Annie, do you have red clover growing and flowering close to where you live? And do you open kitchen windows when you are making cheese?

The reason I am asking is; red flowers of clover has got the propionic acid producing bacteria and they may fly into your milk during the making.

Just a possibility.