Author Topic: "Brown spotting" on a wheel; red patches; - Beaufort; flaw? Normal? Propioni.?  (Read 2668 times)

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
Hi all -

Just wanting to note that of my latter-day Beauforts, they have the tendency to brown spotting, sometimes with a very few red patches.  Investigating this, I've seen many references discussing the "brown spot" flaw in Swiss cheeses, but most of these discuss it in relation to emmental; all of them, referring to propioni. spp, including shermanii, freudenreichi, and, in one source, in the case of red spots, theoni.  E.g.,

Both Propionibacteriumfreudenreichii subsp. shermanii and P.freudenreichii subsp.freudenreichii seem to be involved in the formation of brown spots in all these cheeses. In all Appenzell cheeses, in addition to P.freudenreichii, slow-growing P. acidipropionici and P. jensenii strains, which are known to cause brown spots, were found.

Nothing specifically for gruyere-style cheeses, such as Beauforts.  And on the other hand, many images I see of aged Beauforts, seem to have considerable mottling, and what looked like faded brown spotting on them:

What say any and all?  Flaw?  Normal for a certain style of gruyere?  Propioni. species?  Sorry, no pics, yet - having an issue with my computer knowing there's a dig. camera hooked up to it.  Once I can get that resolved, will try to post some pics. 

Thanks.
- Paul

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
OK, pic.  Sorry for the blurry quality, but the spotting, red and brown, is evident:

Any thoughts, appreciated. :)
- Paul