Author Topic: Looking for new flavors  (Read 11860 times)

CheeseSnipe

Re: Looking for new flavors
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2011, 04:25:23 PM »
I was trying to pair a goat cheese with strawberries. I discovered that thyme and lavender make an excellent combination. Top with a fresh strawberry slice and serve with a strawberry lambic like Timmerman's!

iratherfly

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2011, 10:21:37 PM »
Why not do some traditional flavoring?  Think back in the box?  >:D

I mean... have to tried leaf wrapping? (The leaves themselves could be flavored, soaked in brandy or something like that)
How about aging and growing a rind? (Like Crottin)
Or, how about making the cheese super drained so it is more firm than usual and then let it infuse in a jar full of olive oil with peppercorns, bay leaves and herbes de provence?

I feel that goat cheese is such a classic rustic table commodity with long European tradition... strawberries do it justice in goats cheesecake, but to do it real justice think of its origins in the Loire valley and Northern Italy... fresh bread, maybe herbs and olive oil, pickles or olives, tomato. That's it. Simple simple simple.

Here are a few of my flavors. The first one is Lemon oil and Pimenton (Spanish sweet paprika) and next to it is herbes de provrnce with olive oil.  The next photo is crottin. Two aged and rinded "as-is" and two wrapped with grape leaves which were soaked in Calvados (French Apple brandy) for a few days.  Traditionally this would be tied with raffia but I didn't have any so I used a kitchen twine.
The last one is a very traditional Provençal recipe. I aged it like crottins for about 10 days (you don't have to do this, just drain them very well so that they are firm enough not to fall apart in liquid). I then cut them to pieces and put them in olive oil with basic herbs as I suggested above.  If you are going to do this, mix about 25% canola oil otherwise it will freeze up in the refrigerator. This does not need refregiration and can easily stay in a dark cupboard for 12 months

CheeseSnipe

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2011, 02:47:05 PM »
iratherfly,

Don't get me wrong I do very traditional combinations most of the time, but after about 50 times it gets old, so I like to get out of my rut by looking for creative twists. Herbs de Provence is the one I do the most and I love doing infused olive oils. My crottins have been rocking and I do them about every other batch. I do have the grape leaves and raffia but did not think to soak the leaves themselves. I'll have to try that!

Thanks,  Chris

iratherfly

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2011, 10:26:14 PM »
No problem. Be creative. I would focus on affinage rather than too many strong flavorants. This way you keep it focused on the milk quality and your cheesemaking skill. People can put their own spices and fruits on cheese, but they can't age them for 14 days in liquer-soaked grape leaves tied in raffia. To me, the best cheese is the one where you taste is and say "Oh, it would be a shame to add anything to it!"...

Grape leaves can be soaked in many different wines, liquors or beers to create exciting flavors and aromas. Remember that those alcoholic beverages have an array of yeasts that do interesting things to the rind.  You can soak the leaves in a good quality Balsamic or Sherry vinegar or in tea too! (Tanins on tea and vinegar will give the cheese a striking look).

You can also use high quality lose tea or chai as a coating. Also a good quality cocoa or coffee grinds can be very interesting.

More on affinage: there are some old methods of doing affinage in clay pots where the cheese is being suspended on a grille over a pool of liquor such as Apple brandy. The result is deep and fascinating flavor and aroma. It's not as overwhelming as putting strawberries on it. It's gentle and effects the cheese in a much deeper level. The cheese would open up in your mouth in stages. You first feel the cheese and then the liquor flavor and yeasts and aromas of its fruits will expose itself beautifully (Apple flavor is using Apple brandy, Anise flavor if you use Ouzo, Almond if you use Amaretto Etc.)

Two more suggestions... have you tried smoking them? And last, something I saw in France; crusting them with flambé. It gives them this toasty crusty rind. Fascinating but needs some practice to get right. The heat must be applied very high and very short time as to not boil the pâté of the cheese

CheeseSnipe

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2011, 07:26:40 PM »
I actually checked the liquor cabinet last night and realized I was out of brandy. Will need to restock. I have some great beers and rum that might work.

I like the idea of using the alcohol vapors, especially from some of my bourbon beers that I love so much. The smell is almost better than the beer.

I won a Big Green Egg for a Beer-BBQ competition. I'm assembling it now and hope to start doing some smoking again! I was thinking about smoking cheddar or mozz but didn't think about fresh goat. 

By the way the strawberry reference was for a beer pairing party. I served a strawberry lambic with a goat cheese, onion and strawberry pizza. Hence the need to find out what flavors of herbs paired with strawberries so that I could flavor the base of the pizza accordingly. It worked great. I don't normally just eat them on a cracker.  ;)

CheeseSnipe

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2011, 09:43:28 PM »
The bourbon soaked grape leaf wrapped crottin turned out pretty awesome. Some chef friends of mine said it was the best goat cheese they've ever had. I think it still needs some work but it's a good twist on the same old cheese.

Crystal

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2012, 07:53:51 PM »
Sounds like i need to make some goats cheese, you guys are having all the fun... One up side, i have PLENTY of vine leaves, theres an ornamental grape some where in my back yard. down side, i got no goats, lol. i know i can buy milk some where though...

Also, i have a friend who is starting out on cheese and goats cheese is her preference, ill send her over here for a look!

iratherfly

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2012, 04:14:24 AM »
Crystal - done any yet? It is goat season in your neck of the woods. You should not get great goat's milk there.

CheeseSnipe - Sorry, I was away for a couple of weeks. Any photos? Sounds really great!

anutcanfly

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2012, 04:52:10 AM »
Goat cheese makes for a great ice cream.  Tastes like cheesecake and served with strawberry freezer jam or walnut and honey on top... Soooo good!  :P

Crystal

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2012, 08:09:39 PM »
Nope Yoda, not goats milk for me. I dont have access to a goat, come to think of it, i havent seen a goat in about 5 years... Might check the fruit shop for goats milk, they carry some different milks.

Brewandwinesupply

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2012, 08:54:54 PM »
Did some a while back with red pepper for a little heat, and our favorite was crushed black pepper. We also did some with Italian herebs and another one with garlic.

anutcanfly

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2012, 09:47:14 PM »
My favorite so far is to blend in a tiny amount of honey and lime juice to the Chevre and place it on a bed of toasted walnuts and dried sweetened cranberries.  Great topping for a nice crusty french or sourdough baguette.

smilingcalico

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2012, 02:23:01 PM »
Anut, that's quite creative and delicious sounding!

Brie

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2012, 11:38:31 PM »
I love chevre coated with partially pink peppercorns--it's beautiful and tasty. I also got bored so mixed some expresso coffee powder in and then topped with a drizzle of caramel sauce--outstanding reviews! For a dessert, after the chevre was drained, I formed it into balls and dipped in bittersweet chocolate--Chevre truffles!

StinkyCheese

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2012, 01:00:07 AM »
I also got bored so mixed some expresso coffee powder in and then topped with a drizzle of caramel sauce--outstanding reviews! For a dessert, after the chevre was drained, I formed it into balls and dipped in bittersweet chocolate--Chevre truffles!

These sound fantastic for gluten-free me.  :)  I am working on finishing a batch of goat labneh that has roasted garlic & green chili powder added.  Really delicious drizzled over scrambled eggs.