Author Topic: Looking for new flavors  (Read 11870 times)

Margo McIntosh

Re: Looking for new flavors
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2012, 11:11:41 AM »
I am just venturing into adding herbs to cheese and am confused by the different recommendations on the internet.  Do you boil or microwave your herbs before you use them?  I hate to do that because I'd lose so much of the health benefits of these herbs but I have read that herbs can add some nasties to cheese?  For chèvre because it's eaten so quickly that may not be an issue?  What about adding herbs to hard cheese?  Is it a different process?

linuxboy

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2012, 11:32:50 AM »
Wash in peroxide, citric acid solution, chlorine oxide, peracetic, organic acid solution (blend of lactic, propionic, other acids per experimented data) or similar food-safe sanitizer. You may also try an inhibitor, such as sorbate.

iratherfly

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2012, 09:38:05 PM »
I use dry herbs. They have different health benefits (they actually have nutrients that you won't find in the fresh versions, which they obtain from sun drying, as well as stronger umami flavor). Another thing I like about them is that they don't ferment as fresh herbs may do, and you can even boil them before tossing them into the milk.
If you use strong flavored herbs (such as Herbes de Provence) I would not mix them in the cheese, but rather roll the finished cheese in them so they only coat the outside. Otherwise their flavor is far too concentrated and it will overwhelm your cheese.

If you want to use fresh herbs, another option for you would be to cut the cheese to medallions and marinate it with oil which is infused with herbs. You can also put garlic, peppercorns, etc. This will also preserve your cheese so instead of 14 days, you can keep it in oil for many months and risk no spoilage.  Grapeseed oil, (or a mix of 75% grapeseed oil + 25% extra virgin olive oil) makes best marinate in terms of flavor enhancement, fast infusion and oil viscosity. Do NOT use 100% olive oil as it will harden in the fridge.  I love making omelets on a Sunday with these marinated medallions. I use the infused oil marinate (usually has some pieces of herbs and peppercorns in it) to fry the omelet in. Yumm!