Author Topic: Swiss Cheese Making - Cultures Discussion  (Read 3842 times)

tnbquilt

Swiss Cheese Making - Cultures Discussion
« on: July 09, 2011, 10:52:04 PM »
Has anybody ever made Swiss cheese with the LH100 Lactobacillus Helveticus culture? My recipe calls for thermophilic and propionic shermanii but I was doing some culture research and found this one listed.

It said "Lactobacillus Helveticus is used in conjunction with other thermophilic cultures (such as TA061) in mountain style cheese such as:
Emmenthaler and Gruyere etc.
This culture will begin it's role following pressing and cooling of the cheese and is a major factor in the flavor of theses mountain style cheeses. It's primary role is ripening in the breakdown of protein (Proteolysis) in the later stages of aging.
This is of central importance for the development of cheese body characteristics and the formation of flavor."

I am curious about the use of different cultures, what flavor it might produce. I understand that my recipe books call for the plain culture that they figure I can get easily, but if a different culture takes it from GOOD to WONDERFUL then I'm willing to try it.

tnbquilt

Re: Swiss Cheese Making - Cultures Discussion
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 07:18:38 PM »
I am assuming that no one has tried this and therefore I won't be trying it either.

Gustav

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 07:21:13 PM »
I happen to have both a swiss & emmenthaler with helveticus added tot the norm culture mix. I will cut into i next month & let you know what the result is.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 07:26:18 PM »
Your recipe is correct. I use a 50/50 blend of LH100 and TA61 plus Propionic for my true Swiss types. TA61 is a fairly quick acid producer but does not complete the breakdown of lactose. The LH100 completes the lactose conversion and contributes significantly to proteolysis and flavor formation.

tnbquilt

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 08:47:33 PM »
Thanks. I was just using the thermophilic with the Propionic. I was considering using the Lh100, but I wanted to know if other people used it. I will have to buy both since I am out of thermophilic culture anyway. I was going to make the same recipe today out of store bought milk and next weekend out of raw milk, but now I am considering changing my cultures to the LH100, with TA61 instead of repeating the same recipe.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 11:16:03 PM »
LH100 and TA61 are both thermophilic cultures.

tnbquilt

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 01:06:08 AM »
So you are using a 50/50 blend of two thermophilic cultures. I didn't know that. I never heard of the LH100 until yesterday. I recently found out that there are different cultures than the two that they sell at the store where I buy my supplies. I bought some MM100 to make a gouda recipe because the recipe called for it, but I had not heard of that until then. So now I am looking for other cultures that I did not know existed to see if it makes my cheese better. Thanks for the information

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 02:28:13 AM »
There are really only less than a dozen basic starter bacteria used for cheese making, but there are several blends and many strains with different properties.

I have attached a basic spreadsheet for you. I would suggest expanding your horizons beyond your local store. :)

stoneyridge

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 06:46:58 PM »
Thanks for sharing that chart!  So - can I use Thermo-C in place of TA61 and LH100 since it contains both Strep thermophilus and Lb helveticus?  Or are the proportions not correct for Swiss-type cheeses?  (It's the only Thermo culture I have on hand at the moment).

D

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 09:52:54 PM »
It may contain the same bacteria, but the ratios are different. In a pinch you can use it, but it wouldn't be my choice.

tnbquilt

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 10:20:28 PM »
Thanks for the chart. I want to expand my knowledge of cultures, and thus improve my cheese.